2012 Sierra Ski-Orienteering Tour
Ski-Orienteering World Cup, Round 1
World Ranking Events
North American Ski-Orienteering Championships
U.S. Ski-Orienteering Championships
Open Events for Recreational Skiers
Date: Jan. 29 - Feb. 5, 2012
Location: Bear Valley and Lake Tahoe Areas
Event Director: - 650.793.8764
Course Setters: Neil Hunt, Julie Raymond, Greg Walker, Ken Walker, Sr., Damian Swift, Robi Mulford, Kent Ohlund, Jonathan Owens, Brenda Giese, Matthias Kohler, Denise Kowal, and Bob Baylor
Type: Ski-O; 8 events in 8 days, including 4 World Cup events, 2 World Ranking Events, 3 North American Championships events, 3 U.S. Championships events, 7 open events, and 1 model event.
Thanks from the World Cup Event Advisor
Markku asked me to pass on his thanks below to everyone. I second everything that he wrote. You were a great team to work with, and your incredible efforts made everything possible. The apology that he mentions was my apologizing for taking so long to get back to him on some questions that I had.
(April 18, 2012)
- Nice to hear from you. Nothing to apologize. Just the opposite — thank you and the entire organizing team for taking the leap of faith, trusting on me and making the first ever IOF World Cup event in North America possible. I think that given the circumstances (lack of snow, etc.) you, Greg, Ed and the whole team did a fantastic job. I was especially proud and happy to see how the entire organization grew towards the end of the week. For me it was particularly impressive that in spite of the challenges on Friday’s mixed sprint (freezing computers and running out of maps), the entire team did not panic, held its composure and solved the problems with flying colours. I must confess that not many other teams (or business companies) would have made it so well. Please forward my admirations and gratefulness for everybody involved. I hope that you can continue on this path and take on new Ski Orienteering events and challenges also in the future.
- Markku Vauhkonen
- World Cup Event Advisor
Live results for today (or most recent race) (http://www.o-reg.com/live-results/)
WEATHER UPDATE 30-January-2012: Sunny and partly cloudy for the rest of this tour with some snow or rain on Wednesday.
The 2012 Sierra Ski-Orienteering Tour is the first ski-orienteering (ski-O) event outside of Europe to host the Ski-Orienteering World Cup. The Tour also includes the 2012 North American and U.S. Ski-O Championships, a couple of recreational events, and two World Ranking Events.
The World Cup events are restricted to elite members of national teams, but all of the other events are open to all skiers. If you belong to a national orienteering federation and register to get assigned start times, you may qualify for medals if you place 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in one of the championship events.
Beginners and novices are welcome! We have discounted beginner and intermediate recreational courses that you can ski while learning about this sport. If you are competing for the first time, please ask for a 20-minute beginner clinic, which explains everything that you'll need to know when participating for the first time.
SNOW REPORT 21-January-2012: Snow levels are looking okay at Tahoe but not at Bear Valley, so we are moving the Bear Valley events to Tahoe (this is the first time that we have ever had to cancel an event). First day of competition is probably Monday 30-January with the model event on Sunday 29-January. More details to be posted later today. We had high hopes to use Bear Valley but that venue requires about 2 meters of snow for grooming and nature gave them less than a half meter of snow. Sorry for the changes.
- Bulletin #1 — 8 July 2011 (PDF/1.4MB)
- Bulletin #2 — 12 November 2011 (PDF/1.8MB)
- Bulletin #3 — 24 January 2012 (PDF/1.8MB)
- Bulletin #4 — 28 January 2012 (PDF/1.8MB)
- World Cup competitors
- North American and U.S. Championship competitors
- World Ranking Event competitors
San Francisco Airport (SFO)
Oakland Airport (OAK)
Sacramento Airport (SMF)
Reno Airport (RNO)
Fri.-Sun., Jan. 27-29, Bear Valley Cross Country
Mon., Jan. 30, Northstar-At-Tahoe Cross Country
Tues., Jan. 31, Royal Gorge Cross Country
Wed., Feb. 1, Auburn Ski Club
Thur., Feb. 2, Tahoe Donner Cross Country
Fri.-Sun., Feb. 3-5, Tahoe Cross Country
1 Orienteering USA has a discount program with Motel 6 (CP 546190). Anyone can use this discount at any time, for any travel whatsoever — for orienteering and non-orienteering personal use, and on business. (In addition to the discount you receive, there's a benefit to Orienteering USA.)