In orienteering, "the thinking sport", you use a map and compass to navigate a course through unfamiliar terrain. People of all ages enjoy orienteering as a leisurely walk in the woods or as a competitive cross-country race.
Newcomers are welcome at BAOC events, which are held throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. We offer beginners' courses suitable for both individuals and families, as well as advanced courses that challenge the technical and physical capabilities of individuals and small teams. Learn more here.
News and Notes
A welcome page for runners has been added to the website. Also, a Google calendar has been added to the Schedule page—if you have a personal Google calendar, you can subscribe to this one to have the events displayed on your calendar.
Some new club uniforms are still available! The details are here.
Various "news" items are posted on this page. Recent items:
- BAOC Juniors on 2018 JWOC Team (3/25/18)
- Jean Beuerman Remembered (3/8/18)
- Steve Beuerman and Jay Hann on 2018 U.S. Trail-O Team (1/25/18)
2018 Summer Series
- May. 6 (Sun.) -
Lake Herman Recreation Area
B; Standard seven-course event for beginners through advanced
- May. 6 (Sun.) -
BAOC Annual General Meeting - Lake Herman Recreation Area
Annual membership meeting and election of officers
- May. 12 (Sat.) -
Diablo Valley College
C; Beginner and advanced courses; part of the BAOC 2018 Summer Series (pending park approval)
Other Significant Upcoming Events
There are no other upcoming events within the next 35 days.
Erin Schirm, OUSA Junior National Coach, organizes small, informal training sessions throughout the year. The list of upcoming (and past) sessions is here. (Training events are generally not listed in the main schedule.)
Other Northern California Orienteering Opportunities
The organizations listed below put on events in Northern California and nearby. Their events are listed on the Schedule page.
- Gold Country Orienteers (GCO) (http://www.goldcountryorienteers.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Sacramento area
- Nav-X (http://www.navxchallenge.com) – Organizes map trekking events in Northern California
- terraloco (http://go-terraloco.blogspot.com) – Organizes urban and wilderness map adventures
- Truckee Orienteering Club (http://www.truckeeorienteering.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Lake Tahoe area
- Apr. 22 -
Golden Goat and Golden Kid - Pacheco State Park
Extra-long courses with mass starts; Possibly no beginner or intermediate courses
- Mar. 17 - 25 -
California Orienteering Week (COW) - Northern California
A; Seven (sanctioned) National Events spread over 9 days, including 5 Middle events, 1 Long, and 1 Sprint — organized by BAOC and GCO