In orienteering, "the thinking sport", you use a map and compass to navigate a course through unfamiliar terrain. People of all ages enjoy orienteering as a leisurely walk in the woods or as a competitive cross-country race.
Newcomers are welcome at BAOC events, which are held throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. We offer beginners' courses suitable for both individuals and families, as well as advanced courses that challenge the technical and physical capabilities of individuals and small teams. Learn more here.
We encourage all runners to try orienteering. A runners' welcome page is here.
What About COVID-19?
BAOC events follow the COVID-19 rules laid down by the Federal Government, the State of California, the County in which the event is being held, and the competition area landowners—whichever is more stringent. Please follow event guidelines to help us protect participants from exposure to COVID-19.
News and Notes
Various "news" items are posted on this page. Recent items:
- Important Volunteer News (9/24/21)
- E-punch Help Needed at Upcoming BAOC Events (9/23/21)
- 2020 BAOC Service Award Recipient Announced (5/27/21)
- CalOFest is moved to 2023 (4/22/21)
- Use AmazonSmile and support BAOC! (12/11/20)
Current and Upcoming Events
- Oct. 24 (Sun.) -
St. Mary's College
A; National Ranking Event (NRE) with qualification and final Sprints (2 ranking courses!), and a course for beginners. NOTE: Online registration is REQUIRED for the Sprints.
- Nov. 7 (Sun.) -
B; Standard 7-course B-meet in this beautiful redwood park (pending park approval)
Other Significant Upcoming Events
- Aug. 1 - 14, 2023 -
California Orienteering Festival; San Francisco Bay Area & Lake Tahoe Area -
A; ACTUAL DATES TBD. Many days of activities including the North American Championships (NAOC) and the World Rogaining Championships (WRC) — see separate Schedule entries for each event (entry deadlines: TBD) (pending park approval)
Other Northern California Orienteering Opportunities
The organizations listed below put on events in Northern California and nearby. Their events are listed on the Schedule page (i.e., when "All Clubs" is selected).
- Gold Country Orienteers (GCO) (http://www.goldcountryorienteers.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Sacramento area
- Nav-X (http://www.navxchallenge.com) – Organizes map-trekking events in Northern California
- terraloco (http://go-terraloco.blogspot.com) – Organizes urban and wilderness map adventures
- Truckee Orienteering Club (http://www.truckeeorienteering.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Lake Tahoe area
- Oct. 10 -
B; Definite, unrestricted event — there will be Beginner (White & Yellow), Intermediate (Orange), and Advanced courses
- Aug. 6 - 15 -
Tahoe 2021 - Sierra College & Lake Tahoe Area
A; Two weekends of events: 2021 U.S. Orienteering Championships (Sprint, Middle, & Long) and Club Relay Championships, and 2021 North American Rogaining Championships (24-hour competition & 4-hour recreational)
- Dec. 5 - 6, 2020 -
Bon Tempe Reservoir
C; Greg Ehrensing Memorial Volunteer Event; NO BEGINNER COURSES; LIMITED ATTENDANCE; RESERVATIONS REQUIRED