2023 California Orienteering Festival (https://cal-o-fest.com)
In orienteering, "the thinking sport", you use a map and compass to navigate a course through unfamiliar terrain. People of all ages enjoy orienteering as a leisurely walk in the woods or as a competitive cross-country race.
Newcomers are welcome at BAOC events, which are held throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. We offer beginners' courses suitable for both individuals and families, as well as advanced courses that challenge the technical and physical capabilities of individuals and small teams. Learn more here.
We encourage all runners to try orienteering. A runners' welcome page is here.
What About COVID-19?
BAOC events follow the COVID-19 rules laid down by the Federal Government, the State of California, the County in which the event is being held, and the competition area landowners—whichever is more stringent. Please follow event guidelines to help us protect participants from exposure to COVID-19.
News and Notes
Various "news" items are posted on this page. Recent items:
- 2022 BAOC Service Award Recipient (12/20/22)
- Deadline for 2022 Expense Reimbursements (12/1/22)
- Use AmazonSmile and support BAOC! (12/11/20)
Current and Upcoming Events
- Feb. 12 (Sun.) -
Shell Ridge Open Space
B; Standard 7-course event for beginners through advanced (pending park approval)
- Feb. 26 (Sun.) -
Lake Herman Recreation Area
B; Standard 7 course event for beginners through advanced (pending park approval)
Other Significant Upcoming Events
- Jul. 17 - 30 -
California Orienteering Festival; San Francisco Bay Area & Lake Tahoe Area -
A; Many days of activities including multiple NRE events, the Western States Orienteering Championships, the North American Championships (NAOC), and the World Rogaining Championships (WRC) (entry deadlines: Jan. 15, March 1, June 15) (pending park approval)
Other Northern California Orienteering Opportunities
The organizations listed below put on events in Northern California and nearby. Their events are listed on the Schedule page (i.e., when "All Clubs" is selected).
- Gold Country Orienteers (GCO) (http://www.goldcountryorienteers.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Sacramento area
- Nav-X (http://www.navxchallenge.com) – Organizes map-trekking events in Northern California
- terraloco (http://go-terraloco.blogspot.com) – Organizes urban and wilderness map adventures
- Truckee Orienteering Club (http://www.truckeeorienteering.org) – Organizes orienteering events in the Lake Tahoe area
- Jan. 21 - 22 -
Bon Tempe Reservoir
C; DATES CHANGED — As in the past, limited participation (only for club members) on Saturday or Sunday; PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED; NO BEGINNER OR INTERMEDIATE COURSE; same advanced-level courses both days