O' in the Oaks 2014
Orienteering USA Sanctioned A-meet
2014 Western States Orienteering Championships
Calero County Park¹
Date: Sep. 27 - 28, 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Event Director: - 650.941.8251
Course Setters: Theo Verhoeven, Cedric Lasfargues
Type: A; OUSA sanctioned 2-day Classic A-meet with recreational courses for beginners and others who do not want to compete; this event will be the 2014 Western States Orienteering Championships
Event Director's Notes
Welcome to the O in the Oaks 2014 A-meet—we are looking forward to seeing you all for some classic California Fall orienteering.
Temperatures are likely to be high 70's to low 80's, with cooler mornings. Rain is very unlikely but not impossible. ☺ Competitors should prepare for sunny, hot and dry conditions, and hydrate appropriately before starting your course.
Course Setters' Notes
The Course Setters' Notes contain a lot of useful, and important information about the Calero map and courses. Please be sure to read them.
There will be two separate Starts on both days:
- White/Yellow/Orange – Beginner and Intermediate Courses
- Brown/Green/Red/Blue – Advanced Courses
Details of the Start locations are in the Course Setters' Notes.
Please arrive at the Start at least 10 minutes before your start time.
Note: The Day-1 advanced Start is a 30-minute uphill walk from the registration area. Please allow for that time.
Water will be available at the Starts.
The following procedure will apply at the start area—at both Starts, on both days:
- Be sure to Clear and Check your E-stick when you arrive at the start area.
- First call will be 4 minutes before your start time.
- At the 4-minute call-up line, a volunteer will call your name, check that you have a whistle, check your bib number, and will hold a Check unit for a final verification of your E-stick.
- Second call will be 2 minutes before your start time.
- There, you will be at the Start line, and will have two minutes to pick up a control description sheet, if needed, and receive a map. Do not look at the map during that time.
- When your time is called, punch the Start unit, turn over your map, and start navigating.
The Start Triangle will be at the Start punch units on all the courses on both days.
The Day-1 Finish is not far from the White/Yellow/Orange start area.
All competitors must download their E-punch at the tent located in the assembly area immediately after their run—even if you did not complete the course.
Recreational runners must register at the E-punch tent before going to the Start.
All the courses close at 3:00 PM. Everyone must report to the Finish by then, and to the E-punch tent, even if they have not completed their course.
Poison Oak is present throughout the park. Competitors are encouraged to wash all exposed areas with Tecnu, or water and soap, as soon as possible after their run.
Full leg cover is recommended.
We have arranged a special dinner at a nearby restaurant for the event participants on Saturday evening. Advanced reservation is needed to guarantee a seat. However, you might be able to purchase a ticket on Saturday based on availability.
The dinner will be held at 6:00 PM at the Sonoma Chicken Coop in San Jose (5925 Almaden Expy, 408-997-1272), 15 minutes from Calero Park.
See the event announcement for details of the menu and prices, and for a map showing the location.
Please try our fun "labyrinth" course in the assembly area to test your small-course speed and navigation skills.
Listed below are the volunteers who have worked in advance to make this event happen.
In addition, nearly every club member and many visiting participants have also volunteered to help during the event—a big thanks to all!
- Course Setters: Theo Verhoeven, Cedric Lasfargues
- OUSA Course Consultant: Francis Hogle
- Vetters: Daniel Engovatov, Matthias Kohler, Shura Kretchetov, Derek Maclean, Luc Poppe
- Registrar: Steve Beuerman
- E-Punch: Rosemary Johnson
- Starts: Marie-Josée Parayre
- Finishes: Graham and Christine Brew
- Registration: Ev and Jean Beuerman
- Control Pickup: Steve Harrison
- Social, Including Dinner: Cornelia Coolen
- Contingency: Misha Kreslavsky, Dan Greene
- Website: Chuck Spalding
- Labyrinth O: Matej Sebo
- Safety: Wes Erck
- Camping: Nancy Lindeman
- A-Meet Advisors: Gary Kraght, Dennis Wildfogel, Steve Harrison
- Santa Clara County Park Staff: Carolyn Tucker, Steve Famalette, Bill Burr