BAOC Board Meeting Minutes

Date: (Tue.) Jun. 7, 2016
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 650.281.5280, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome

Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held June 7, 2016

Present: Steve Haas (President), Steve Harrison (Event Coordinator), Sharon Evans, Scott Aster, Dennis Wildfogel, Jeff Lanam, Nancy Lindeman, Bob Cooley, Rosemary Johnson, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary), Dan Greene and Dan Vannatter.

The meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM at the Foster City Recreation Center by President Steve Haas.

President's Report – Steve Haas

Steve reported that a box of compasses was donated by a retiring science teacher. Dennis Wildfogel has offered to help lead National Event coordination.

Online Votes/Approval of Minutes – Vicki Woolworth

There were no online votes this quarter.
The minutes of the March 2016 meeting were approved as amended.

Treasurer's Report – Sharon Evans

Sharon presented the current financial report.
Dennis suggested a donation to help plant trees at Boggs Mountain. Scott Aster described the devastation he observed during a recent visit. The Board voted to donate $500 toward tree planting. Sharon will contact the rangers to determine where to direct the donation.
An anonymous donor has requested that their donation be used for marketing, juniors, and mapping. The respective directors are to make proposals which will be reviewed to determine the distribution.
Given the change in leadership, the bank signature card needs to be updated. Jeff Lanam will look into what is required.
Sharon has drafted a donation letter. The Board members reviewed it and gave feedback.
Sharon looked into the details of the PayPal accounts, and is working on ways to make the accounting easier and to sort out memberships and donations.
Nav-X events have been a source of revenue and detailed accounting has been provided by the organizers. We will be responsible for OUSA fees; Sharon will investigate details.
Jay Hann has set up the new storage unit. The old one is paid up until July 31 and the contents are being consolidated.

Mapping Report – Bob Cooley

Zherdev will be working on Big Basin for six weeks this summer, but will need additional time to complete enough for a national-level event. There is LIDAR data, but it is not optimal; summer 2017 is likely when it can be completed.
Jeff Lanam asked about Pfleger estate near Huddart as a possible venue; unfortunately that is not available for orienteering.
Scott Aster thinks there is potential at Fort Ross, especially if there can also be events at Salt Point, and hopes to get another opinion on that.

National Event Report – Dennis Wildfogel (for Gary Kraght)

Dennis noted that this is not a regular Board position.
Proposed for March 2017 is a sprint relay at Joaquin Miller Park, an Ultra Long at Briones, and an extended Middle at Point Pinole.
Dennis is also proposing an A-meet Sprint camp for December 9–11, 2016, with three days of sprint events including a relay.
The Board voted to make National Event Coordinator a Board position, to be filled by Dennis while Gary is heading the effort to bring the WMOC to California.

Juniors: Grants and Fundraising

The committee is still soliciting applications for grants. There was an online proposal and discussion regarding selling the cinch bags (leftover prizes from the recent national event). It was decided to make the bags a thank-you gift for donations to the Junior fund. Steve Haas will coordinate this.

Event Coordinator Report – Steve Harrison

Steve is looking at the year ahead, collecting information on past events and venues and surveying the membership for current interests. Tentative events include Huddart on October 16th and Tamarancho on November 13th. Other possibilities include Stanford, Bon Tempe, Shell Ridge, Coyote Hills, and the Presidio.

Training Program – Erin Schirm, by email

The training program. I have not made much progress on this, however I plan to put more work in when I get back from my summer travels. I have had a number of emails from parents asking about regular orienteering training, so I think this is something that once started could start to grow.
Clinics. The clinics this spring went well. I think better advertisement would have helped for the basic skills course, and more encouragement of new people in the club to attend the course-setting clinic. I think I will look into doing these again in the fall to keep it going regularly.
Junior coordinator. This summer I want to meet with Jay to talk about how we can maximize the COOL league and get more schools involved, more coaches trained, etc. I think right now along with a regular training program this is the best place to put time and energy. I have some ideas, but will hold off until next time once I have discussed more with Jay.
Finally. For the future it would be great if we can figure out a way to call in to the meeting.

Uniforms – Marie-Josée Paryre, by email

The uniform design has been decided by club vote to be blue and white. After discussion, consensus was to order 30–50% over the preorders to have stock to sell to club members who did not have a chance to preorder.

Directors' Reports

E-punch – Rosemary Johnson
Rosemary is continuing as E-punch Director, with the plan to assign a member of the E-punch cadre as lead for each event. Jay will be handling some of the equipment issues in his role as equipment director. Long term it would be nice to have more automation of membership and registration to facilitate E-punch sign-in.
Publicity – Nancy Lindeman
Nancy hopes to have more activity on Facebook, especially for the upcoming Bayfront event. Meetup was also suggested. Having online registration might help build buzz and reinforce the social aspect as one would be able to check who is going, arrange carpools, etc.
Registration – Steve Haas
Steve reports that registration is currently running smoothly, and he is OK with continuing as director for the time being.
Outreach – Scott Aster
No requests for outreach this quarter.

New Business

We will attempt to set up a call-in option for the next Board meeting.

Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 13th.

Meeting adjourned at 9:37 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Vicki Woolworth
BAOC Secretary