“Corona” Bike-O training course at Point Pinole
Point Pinole Regional Shoreline
Dates: June 17, 2020 to ??
Location: Richmond, CA
Type: Training; Streamered Bike-O course for practice/exercise during the shutdown
September 3rd Update
- Point Pinole Regional Shoreline is open. You can check the status here (https://www.ebparks.org/parks/pt_pinole/default.htm).
- This is a training course, not an organized BAOC event. We do not have a park permit for this course.
- Be careful for your safety. You are on your own—tell somebody where you will be and when you expect to return.
- You are doing this at your own risk. Each participant assumes full responsibility (BAOC accepts no responsibility) for any and all injuries, losses, and damages that he or she incurs while attending or participating in this course.
- Be mindful of the general COVID-19 restrictions, and any specific restrictions that might apply to the park.
In case you are tired of steep hills and/or poison oak, I set a Bike-O course at Point Pinole (http://www.ebparks.org/parks/pt_pinole/) today.
Parking is at these coordinates: 38.000205,-122.356197. That’s at the new second entrance to the park, at the end of Atlas Road.
The control locations are all at trail junctions and trail bends, and are marked with tiny pieces of pink streamer, sticking up about an inch above the ground, directly north of the control circles. A sturdy road bike will be fine, as the trails at Point Pinole are mostly smooth and mostly flat. The course is 5.5 km in straight-line distance, and as usual you must take the controls in numerical order.
You are certainly free to do the course on foot if you like, in which case going off-trail is fine. Please stay on the trails if you are biking—although as tall as the grass is right now, I can’t imaging going off-trail on a bike will save you any significant time.
The map, course information, the sign-up sheet (please sign in before you go, and sign out afterwards), and a picture of a sample streamer are available here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oqlzeOu_pLNWovaBIYKuI1HTYha229M4?usp=sharing).
Be sure to read the course information.
(June 17, 2020)