“Corona” training course in Lower Kensington
Dates: May 25, 2020 to ??
Location: El Cerrito, CA
Course Setter: , 510-525-1574
Type: Training; One Street-O course for practice/exercise during the shutdown
- This is a training course, not an organized BAOC event. We do not have a permit for this course.
- Be careful for your safety. You are on your own—tell somebody where you will be and when you expect to return.
- You are doing this at your own risk. Each participant assumes full responsibility (BAOC accepts no responsibility) for any and all injuries, losses, and damages that he or she incurs while attending or participating in this course.
- Be mindful of the general COVID-19 restrictions, and any specific restrictions that might apply to the area.
I am designing some Street-O courses along the winding roads, paths, and stairs of the Berkeley, El Cerrito, and Kensington hills. These courses are perfect for beginners and families. But they also can be a physical and technical challenge for competitive runners.
The first course is ready to go, and my neighbors are already enjoying it. I named it "Lower Kensington"". Print these two PDF files:
- The "native" size of the map PDF file is 11"x17" (with unspecified scale). The scale will be different if you print on 8.5"x11" paper. 😉
The Start and Finish are located at 135 San Carlos Ave in El Cerrito, my house (i.e., the triangle on the map). There is ample parking on the street.
The object is to visit each of the 20 controls in numerical order. Upon arriving at a control point, circle the correct multiple-choice answer on your answer sheet. If you are running competitively, upon finishing drop the answer sheet into the labeled box on my front porch, including your name and course time. I will periodically publish the results.
The map is an Open Street Map (OSM) and has no contours. The paths and stairways can be difficult to see on the map, and are depicted by faint red lines. The length of the course (actual distance) is about 6 km, and the total climb is about 250 m. The course can be casually walked in about 90 minutes.
There is light traffic on most of the roads and paths. Colusa Ave and The Arlington can sometimes be busy.
If you are coming by, give me a call beforehand, and maybe we can have a social distancing chat. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
(May 25, 2020)
|Lower Kensington Street-O Results||As of 6/2/20|
|Name||Time||Consecutive||Random Order||Unknown Order|
|Bob, Mary, John, Kathy Baylor||2:21:00||x|