2011 Sierra Ski-Orienteering Championships
Day 5 – Royal Gorge Cross Country
Date: (Fri.) Feb. 4, 2011
Location: Soda Springs, CA
Event Director: - 650.793.8764
Course Setter: Brenda Giese
Type: Ski-O; Day 5 of the 2011 Sierra Ski-Orienteering Championships
New map!!!! Finally, we have a map with 5-meter contours and trails set by GPS tracking. That means when you go off trail, you know better where you are headed. I tried out the map on January 8 and 9. Loved it. I had a great time going off trail and ending up on another trail just as shown on the map. Greg Walker did great work on the map. The previous map did us wonders, but the improvements are very much needed now that we can go off trail.
Brenda Giese finished designing the White, Orange, Green, Red, and Blue courses. All the courses start at the Summit Station area (near Registration and E-punch Download). The White course finishes at Summit Station, but the other courses finish a couple miles away near where the old Wilderness Lodge used to be located. Although the courses are a little long, they are definitely shorter than last year, with a lot less climb. After you complete your course, go back to the Summit Station (a relaxed pace is fine) to download your results.
Optimal Airline Course Trail Route Route Climb
White 3.0 km 2.6 km 35 m Orange 6.7 km 5.8 km 80 m Green 10.0 km 7.0 km 155 m Red 12.4 km 9.7 km 175 m Blue 15.7 km 12.0 km 230 m
Things to keep in mind for this competition:
- You are allowed to use any rope tows (two of the original four tows are often in operation).
- You can go off the groomed trails, but you must do so at your own risk.
- Do not ski on the maintenance road — you can be disqualified for doing that. This is shown as out of bounds on your map, and there are signs to keep you off it.
- All trails are shared — safely ski around all other skiers.
- Not all secondary trails are mapped.
- From I-80 drive 80 min. east of Sacramento or 15 min west of Truckee to Exit 174 (Norden/Soda Springs).
- Go straight through the village for about a mile to the first blinking light/stop sign.
- Turn right and go about 0.9 miles to Pahatsi Road.
- Turn right onto Pahatsi and drive about 0.7 miles to the end of the road.
- Follow Pahatsi to the right into the parking area.
Registration and check-in are in the main building (go to the special events desk in the main lobby). Ski rentals are downstairs.
There's a map here that shows the location of the event.