Volunteer Event at Almaden Quicksilver
Date: (Sat.) Jun. 2, 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Event Directors: - 650.281.5280, - 510.681.6181
Type: This is an opportunity to "give back" to our parks and to build relationships with the park administration. Pre-registration is required!
The following BAOC members participated in the event (along with many non-BAOC people):
- Cedric Lasfargues
- Chuck Spalding
- Dan Greene
- Jeff Lanam
- Matthias Kohler
- Nick Corsano
- Peter Graube
- Steve Haas
- Theo Verhoeven
One other BAOC member, who shall remain nameless, went to the wrong entrance to Almaden Quicksilver, and missed all the fun.
After loading up with swag (T-shirts, water bottles, etc.), people joined either of two work crews.
Everyone (except Peter) rode a shuttle deep into the park, and carried heavy lumber about 0.4 mile ("all downhill" [Ha!]) to where a trail bridge will be replaced. Most (all?) of the crew made two trips from the truck to the bridge site. Then everyone hiked more than an hour ("all downhill" [Yeah, right!]) out to the parking lot.
Meanwhile, Peter was on a trail maintenance crew that hiked in from the parking lot to the work sites. He helped to reconstruct two rain gutters and created a new rain gutter on a trail.
Which crew had more fun?
Here are some photos of the crew that carried the lumber. Nick is missing from the group shot because he took the picture.
After the event, everyone treated themselves to lunch at a nearby restaurant.
Everyone seemed to agree that the club should participate in similar events in the future.
Here's an acknowledgement message from the Volunteer Coordinator for Santa Clara County Parks & Recreation:
- From: John George <John.George@PRK.SCCGOV.ORG>
- Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:15:15 -0700
- Subject: National Trails Day on June 2: Thank you!
- Thanks to all of you who volunteered on National Trails Day at Almaden Quicksilver Park on June 2! You accomplished a lot that morning: clearing the drainages will eliminate many trail repairs next Winter and Spring, and I know the Trails Crew especially appreciates your extraordinary efforts to stage all the (heavy!) lumber for the footbridge reconstruction. We’d also like to thank REI and North Face for the recognition items they provided that day, and for their commitment to the outdoors, parks and volunteers.
- Please know that County Parks values the good work you do on our behalf, and that your hard work does make a difference. We hope to see you at a future County Parks volunteer event, or simply out enjoying our trails.
- John C. George
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Santa Clara County Parks & Recreation
- 298 Garden Hill Dr.
- Los Gatos, CA 95032
- (408) 355-2299
- (408) 356-2025 fax