Updating the E-Punch Archive
BAOC is going to try to update its archive after each event, so that new sticks will be added to the database, which will decrease the amount of time to enter these in future events.
The directions that I used to update the archive are below. I do not know if this is the best or most efficient way to do it, so if someone has a better way, please let me know. It would be nice if SportSoftware had a means of excluding one or more chips not to import in the archive, such as rental sticks, so that the file would not have to been manually massaged in Excel before importing it into the Archive Manager. Deletion of the rental sticks in Excel is the most time consuming aspect of the process.
Here are the steps to update the archive from data for an event:
- In OE2003, select the Event from which you want to export the data into the archive.
- Go to Event > Archive > Export.
- Under Select Data, choose Competitors.
- Hit the Export button, and select where you want to place the CSV file.
- I have put them in the folder Documents & Settings\BAOC\My Documents\Archive.
- I create a new file in that folder for each event.
- Choose character separated values (CSV), and accept the defaults of Delimiter as semicolon (;) and String delimiter as quote marks (").
- Click OK. Close the Export dialog box.
- Then I open the CSV file in Excel.
- I click in the upper left-hand box to select all of the cells in the file.
- Go to Data > Sort > Chip and click OK.
- I then highlight BAOC’s rental stick numbers (47001–47050, 336851–336875, and 600051–600075), one block at a time, and select Edit > Delete. I do that for each of the three groups of rental stick numbers.
- I also delete any "fake" numbers that may have been created if a person wanted to use the same stick for two courses.
- I save the file, say Yes to keep in it in CSV format instead of Excel format, and close the file.
- I then open up Archive Manager, and select the Archive in OE2003. It is located in Program Files/Sportsoftware/OE2003/Archive.
- I select Import > Competitors. I click Add and update for the Competitors, Identify competitor by Chip, and Keep existing for Clubs and Classes.
- Make sure the same delimiters (semicolon and quote marks) are showing for the CSV File format.
- Choose the CSV file you just modified in Excel.
- Click the little blue Start Import icon at the top left. Click Yes to confirm rebuilding the archive.
- If you get an error message, the delimiters may have been accidentally changed. Make sure they are semicolon and quote.
You then get a report of how the archive was modified.