BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Tue.) Mar. 8, 2016
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 408.313.3753, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome
Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held March 8, 2016
Present: Nick Corsano, Steve Haas, Jeff Lanam (President), Nancy Lindeman, Jay Hann, Bob Cooley, Rosemary Johnson, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary), Dan Greene and Erin Schirm.
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM at the Foster City Recreation Center by President Jeff Lanam.
President's Report – Jeff Lanam
- Jeff commented on recent successful events: we co-sponsored Anza Borrego, Greg Ehrensing set courses and organized a pop-up event at Bon Tempe on a new map that was well received, big turnout at Presidio which included the JROTC championships, Sunol, Lake Herman, Berkeley's sprint event with special thanks to Dennis Wildfogel. Upcoming are Oyster Bay and the A-meet.
Online Votes/Approval of Minutes – Vicki Woolworth
- Jay Hann was confirmed as Equipment Director by online vote on February 16, 2016.
- The minutes of the December 2015 meeting were approved by a vote of the Board.
Treasurer's Report – Sharon Evans, by email
- Sharon reported on the current club finances.
Mapping Report – Bob Cooley
- The new Bon Tempe map, created from LIDAR by Bill Cusworth, was enjoyed at the pop-up event. We might want to check with the rangers there to see if limits have been relaxed, in which case we would consider expanding the map. Our history of paying mappers was reviewed in response to a question. Even with advanced base maps (LIDAR, tools for dealing with tree cover), there is still a need for experienced mappers.
Event Coordinator Report
- No report from the event coordinator, but the need for events after spring was discussed. Nancy suggested adding something for National Orienteering Week. Nav-X events were brought up—the Board will more clearly define our commitment to, and relationship with, Nav-X at a future meeting.
A-meet Report – Erin Schirm (for Gary Kraght), Steve Haas
- Given there will not be an A-meet this fall, a Sprint tournament is being considered; possible venues were discussed including Golden Gate Park, which would require additional mapping.
- Plans for the upcoming Morgan Territory/Mills College A-meet are in pretty good shape; needed to make some adjustments to courses to accommodate sensitive archeological sites. Working on getting the right number of medals, getting volunteers, and working out the logistics of tents and clocks.
Nominating Committee – Jeff Lanam
- Nick Corsano was appointed by the Board to head the nominating committee.
Training Program – Erin Schirm
- Erin has two clinics scheduled, course setting and teaching basic orienteering. He is working on a training plan for fall; will present at next Board meeting.
- Discussion followed on how much to charge for maps used by outside groups, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Adventure Running – Erin Schirm
- Erin described the Adventure Running group in the North Bay, they are seeking associate membership in OUSA (supporting member).
- Publicity – Nancy Lindeman
- Nancy is concerned that people might be discouraged from attending events when the web page says "pending park approval" until just before the event. She would also like to see OUSA promote our events on Facebook, and try other types of promotion such as meetup.
- Registration – Steve Haas
- We are in need of a new East Bay registration director, and there was a general discussion of online registration, possibly using websites such as Wild Apricot.
- E-Punch – Rosemary Johnson
- Rosemary announced that she is ready to be replaced, but will continue while we search for a suitable volunteer. A new printer has been purchased.
- Equipment – Jay Hann
- Jay is looking into tripods and cases for the big clocks, and other ideas. The idea is to keep the event director happy by making equipment easy to get. Lockers are being consolidated into one location.
- Juniors – Erin Schirm
- Erin will work with Jay on the COOL events.
- Event Quality – Dan Greene
- Dan has observed variable quality at events, suggestions were discussed.
- General discussion of the pros and cons of paid volunteers as well as determining where best to place them.
Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 7th.
Meeting adjourned at 9:35 PM.