BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Tue.) Dec. 15, 2015
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 408.313.3753, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome
Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held December 15, 2015
Present: Nick Corsano, Steve Haas, Jeff Lanam (President), Sharon Evans (Treasurer), Nancy Lindeman, Bob Cooley, Scott Aster, Rosemary Johnson, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary), Gary Kraght, Dennis Wildfogel, Graham Brew, Stephen Harrison, Dan Vannatter, and Erin Schirm.
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 PM at the Foster City Recreation Center by President Jeff Lanam.
President's Report – Jeff Lanam
- Jeff commented on the successful events, notably the Scout-O, Goat, and Pacheco.
Online Votes/Approval of Minutes – Vicki Woolworth
- The minutes of the September 2015 meeting were approved by a vote of the board.
- There were no online votes this quarter.
Treasurer's Report – Sharon Evans
- Sharon reported on the current club finances.
Mapping Report – Bob Cooley
- Rex and Bob plan to update the Morgan Territory map. Bob tried to improve the Huddart map using LIDAR, but the contours did not match up. The plan to invest in the Big Basin map was discussed, and it was felt that this level of investment would only be justified if we could hold a national-level event. Nick and Sharon will approach the rangers to see if they would be supportive. The Bon Tempe update is complete. Fort Ross was considered as an orienteering location, but the consensus was that it does not have sufficient suitable terrain and is distant from the Bay Area.
Event Coordinator Report – Rex Winterbottom, by email
- Rex announced upcoming and reviewed recent events, he is asking members to pick venues and dates for 2016 as soon as possible.
A-meet Report – Gary Kraght, by email
- Gary described a proposal for a second A-meet, second weekend in November, which would consist of a relay championship at Joaquin Miller Park and a classic at Briones. Discussion followed on how best to promote relays.
- Steve Haas gave an update on the spring 2016 A-meet. Registration has started and he has a few volunteers but needs more. Visit Tri-Valley is a sponsor, helping arrange hotels and banquet. Parking has been arranged at the ranch adjacent to Morgan Territory. Discussed possible Trail-O and how best to schedule awards.
2016 Budget – Sharon Evans
- The board discussed items being considered in the 2016 budget.
- Given the tax-exempt status of the club, employers who provide matching contributions can be identified and appropriate paperwork completed. Mikkel Conradi has identified Benevity. Any others should be forwarded to Jeff or Sharon.
Training Program – Erin Schirm
- Erin gave a detailed presentation on a tiered proposal to bring more training and clinics to Juniors and adults.
- He presented a proposed schedule and budget with different types of training and events, from adult and junior trainings and clinics to an elite development team and included estimated fees and costs. One goal would be to expand the reach of the club by increasing the number of knowledgeable people, enabling more events. Ideally this could be built up to a program that attracts young athletes to the Bay Area.
- The 2016 budget was passed as amended.
Due to time constraints, there were no director's reports
Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 8th.
Meeting adjourned at 9:55 PM.