Minutes: June 2000 BAOC Board Meeting

by Meg Gerstner, Secretary

PRESENT: Scott Aster, Everett Beuerman, Jean Beuerman, Mark Blair, Bob Cooley, Nick Corsano, Evan Custer, Harold DeMoss, Meg Gerstner, Steve Gregg, Hanuu Haarma, George Minarik, James Scarborough, Joe Scarborough.

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm at the Alta Bates Imaging Center.


The minutes of the March 6, 2000, board meeting and the Annual Meeting on April 2, 2000, were approved.


Scott reported the resignation of several board members and affiliated positions: Robert Lewis (Outreach), Tony Pinkham (South Bay Publicity), and Tom and Sandy Guldman (North Bay Registration, as of the end of the year). Any interested candidates for these positions or that of Social Director, are asked to contact Scott.

Among topics to be discussed later in the meeting are the status of Sierra 2000, e-punching (which Scott said he found to be an improvement over conventional punching), the Junior Training Grant, and the upcoming schedule.

3. TREASURER'S REPORT - George Minarik

George reported that our event income was good, despite the rain, and that the outlook for the rest of the year depends to some extent on Sierra 2000. Although it is too early to predict the results of that event, we are not in any danger of getting our bank balance too low. Scott and George requested that bills be submitted in a timely manner.

4. ELECTRONIC PUNCHING - Joe Scarborough/Mark Blair

Joe recapped the original proposal, the meeting of interested volunteers on April 1, the demonstration event in April, and use at Indian Valley. He said that there are now about 6 people who are very familiar with the system and that the system has worked well with minimal problems (e.g. failure to wait until the light on the unit flashed before removing the finger stick). He is looking for additional test events (possibly Spring Lake on July 9th).

Based on these early tests, the E Cadre has proposed the purchase of additional equipment: Priority 1 included 20 more units ($1500), relay software ($150), 3 carrying belts ($90), 3 "suitcases" for storage ($150), 50 battery packs ($200), 2 laptop computers ($2000), and miscellaneous equipment ($300) for a total of $4390. In addition, it was proposed that a printer and power supply (Priority 2, $500) and a SportIdent printer and battery charger (Priority 3, $750-1120) be purchased, as lower priority items. For the Burton Creek event, about 140 units will be needed (90 units have been ordered by USOF; if they are not delivered in time, SportIdent will supply units to us).

The board passed a motion to authorize the purchase of the Priority 1 equipment and the printer of Priority 2, with the proviso that we seek lower-cost laptops (e.g. by donation or purchase of used computers). All the necessary hardware for mounting the e-punch equipment has been purchased by Mark and is in the process of assembly. The issues associated with routinely providing e-punching for Orange courses were discussed, and Scott agreed to consider having it at the Spring Lake event.

5. SIERRA 2000 UPDATE - Evan Custer

Evan reviewed the plans for the O-Fest, Convention, and several meets (Spooner Lake B-meet featuring advanced and intermediate level relays; Sawmill Flat A-meet; Mountain Bike-O; Trail-O; and the Burton Creek A-meet). The idea of registering for A-meets online via Active.Com was discussed. It is too late to institute it this year, but seems like a good idea.

George reported that his workshop slots for the Convention are filled, but that he is still looking for skill session directors. Crew chiefs are still being sought for search/rescue, signs, and child care. Evan reported that he was expecting an answer the next day from Brunton concerning our sponsorship proposal (i.e. we requested Brunton's support at the Convention for a variety of things including room rental, map and bib printing, control markers and punches, program support). Publicity, dinner, and awards are set (except awards for the Pacific Coast championships, for which Evan is seeking some ideas). Remaining items include checking on actual facilities at each event site, and receiving the permits (which have been submitted but not yet received).

6. MAPPING REPORT - Bob Cooley

Bob has checked/drawn Camp Concord. George Kirkov has finished Burton Creek and will work on Northstar for completion in a few weeks. During the summer, George will be working on Morgan Territory and Tamarancho. Bob has a volunteer to work on Skyline Open Space, and is still looking for new ideas. Suggestions (especially for White and Yellow event locations) included McLaren Park in San Francisco, Central Park in Santa Clara, and Sonoma State. Scott raised the issue of converting Indian Valley (and all of our maps) to Ocad. Bob asked whether any one wanted to volunteer, or whether we should hire someone to do it. Mark is working on a process to speed up such conversion.


Harold said that a meet director is still needed for Calero. The Golden Goat will be held at Shell Ridge with Mark Blair setting courses and Harold acting as Meet Director. Harold reported that he and Penny were quite pleased with the Indian Valley meet they directed, which was the first standard meet to use e-punching.

His comments led to discussion about the need for a close working relationship between the E Cadre and the meet directors (e.g. for help with setting and picking up controls). The Cadre will generate a list of preferred venues for e-punching (probably the club ranking events), so that when Harold and Penny approach prospective meet directors, they will be able to inform them of the use of e-punching. However, e-punching will be used only with the agreement of meet directors. A Cadre Team Leader will be assigned for each event with e-punching.

8. JUNIOR TRAINING GRANT - Nick Corsano/Scott Aster

The first Junior Training Grant has been awarded to Anneliese Steuben, the US F-16 champion, who plans to use it to train at the Sierra 2000 and the Rocky Mountain 1000-Day events.

Following comments at the last board meeting, the committee (Scott, Steve Gregg, Sarah Minarik, Gavin Wyatt-Mair, and Nick) reviewed the criteria for and objectives of the grant. These factors include the purpose (to help young orienteers to develop their skills), funding (to be approved by the board on an annual basis), eligibility (BAOC or GCO members up to age 20 who have been active with their club for at least one year and compete at Orange or above), accepted activities (any orienteering activity consistent with the applicant's development plan), and implementation (selection of candidates, report to the board). Each recipient of the grant will be responsible for reporting on his/her experience.


There were no reports for Web Page (Aileen Abernathy) or Social (Scott Aster, acting), and nothing further to report for Technical (Joe Scarborough).

Equipment (Mark Blair): Two new sunshade "tents" are available. Mark reported that the Convention will need equipment, which he will start to gather, including any additional punches from Brunton. Scott said that signs were needed for standard meets; Mark will investigate.

Membership (Steve Beuerman): In Steve's absence, Scott reported that the membership trend is down somewhat (279 memberships/607 members/407 members by USOF count).

Event Quality (Ian Tidswell): In Ian's absence, Scott reported that the event quality director is an "underutilized resource" who can be helpful in reviewing courses. Neal Barlow has volunteered to work with Orange-level orienteers at Spring Lake (to shadow them) and Hanuu Haarma said he would be willing to shadow competitors, as well, as a training exercise.

Training (Steve Gregg): Steve reported that there have been at least 6 to 12 people at most of the Wednesday night training sessions, and that most slots for these sessions are filled for the summer. Suggestions for training include shadowing and using former courses to make organization easier.

Registration (Jean and Ev Beuerman): Jean reported a new North Bay registration coordinator will be needed at the end of the year, following Sandy and Tom Guldman's resignation. Map cases and whistles have been ordered for the Sierra 2000.

USOF Report (Gary Kraght): In Gary's absence, Scott reported that he had talked with Clare Durand, the Western Region USOF representative, at the Presidio event. Evan reported that there would be several USOF meetings at the Sierra 2000, and that the US Champs in 2001 will be held in upstate New York on Mother's Day.

Publicity (Nancy Lindeman): In Nancy's absence, Scott reported on Tony Pinkham's resignation as South Bay director, and complemented Judy Koehler on her work in the North Bay. We discussed advertising in "endurance" running event schedules.

Bulletin (Stacy Goss): In Stacy's absence, Scott reported that Stacy is always looking for pictures for use in the bulletin. Stacy was complimented for keeping the costs down.

Outreach (Scott Aster, acting): Due to Robert Lewis' resignation, we are looking for a new coordinator.

Permits (Rosemary Johnson): In Rosemary's absence, Scott reported that she has permits through August 6 and park reservations up to November 5.

10. NEW BUSINESS - Scott Aster

The 2001 A-Meet has been tentatively scheduled for Morgan Territory in late October. The map will be checked this fall/winter and then drawn. Issues include parking; Mark will investigate. An official meet director is being sought; George and Hannu have volunteered to do course setting, Bob has volunteered to vet the courses. Scott suggested and the Board agreed that the meet at Tamarancho on October 22 be used as the BAOC Club Championships. Evan reported that Kelly Wells had suggested that a decal with the club logo be produced for sale, for use as awards, and for marking equipment. Evan will get more details from Kelly.

11. NEXT MEETING - Scott Aster

The next board meeting will be Monday, September 11, 2000, at Stanford University. (The site will be announced later.) The meeting adjourned at 9:56 pm.