Vasona Lake County Park
Event #3 of 6 in the BAOC 2023 Summer Series
Date: (Sun.) Jun. 18, 2023
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Course Setter: Taylor Pospisil
Type: C; This is the third event of the 2023 Summer Series. Beginners are welcome! (pending park approval)
Related Event Information
2023 Summer Series Summer Series Discount Package Online Event Registration (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/vasona2023) Attackpoint Event Page (http://www.attackpoint.org/eventdetail.jsp/event_56089) Last Year’s Event
For the third event in the 2023 Summer Series, we are pleased to present another event on Bob Cooley’s updated Vasona Park map, now mapped to the ISSOM standard.¹ Check out what has changed at the park over the past few years (including the past year!). We have put together three courses that will be fun for beginners to try and for advanced orienteers to cruise through at Sprint pace.
- Note: Everyone will be welcome at this event, even if they have not attended either of the previous events in the Summer Series. In particular, beginners are encouraged to attend this event to learn what orienteering is about.
You can see information about Vasona Lake Park on its website (http://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/Pages/Vasona.aspx). Lake Vasona and its neighbor, Oak Meadow Park, have many things to do to keep you there all day. There’s a boat launch where you can rent kayaks, pedal boats, and more. There’s a miniature train that runs around the park, and a carousel.
Club members: Please see the request for volunteers below. 😉
- Making the case for advanced orienteers to attend this event:
- I want to make the case that the Short and Long courses should be excellent choices for advanced orienteers.
- First of all, we will be using a new map made by Bob Cooley. Vasona has undergone considerable change over the past several years, so a new map was needed. It’s always exciting to run on a new map! (Note that the new map is an ISSOM map—that is, it uses the set of symbols designed for Sprint Orienteering. Those symbols differ from the set used for forest orienteering, including the way roads, paved paths, fences and walls are represented. If you are not familiar with the Sprint Orienteering symbol set, you can acclimate yourself with this document (PDF/600KB).)
- While Vasona does not present much in the way of complex contour detail, there are many, many objects in the park (natural and human-made), so detailed map reading is required. Keep in mind that Sprint courses by design have control placements at the Yellow/Orange level. I have not seen the courses nor the new map, but I am looking forward to the challenge presented by high-speed running on a map with many details.
- Hope to see you at the event! Vasona is a lovely park with a big lake and views of the mountains.
- Dennis Wildfogel [Written for the 2019 Vasona event; updated here]
What is Orienteering?
An adventure! Discover the outdoors and discover yourself! Teams of 1 to 5 find checkpoints in wilderness venues or urban areas using specially-produced maps.
The standard BAOC event schedule will be followed:
- 9:00 AM – 11:59 AM: Registration open
- 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM: Beginner clinic instruction (free)
- 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM: Starts are open for all courses
- 2:00 PM: Courses close, checkpoint control pick-up begins
- Note: At on-site registration, all juniors must be accompanied by parents or legal guardians, or bring with them a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian (the registration form is available here [PDF/12KB]).
Note that you can register and start on the courses anytime during the open times above. Thus, for example, you do not need to be “punctual” at 9:00 (you can if you want, but please don’t show up earlier and expect to be served).
Beginner clinics are 15–20 minute, repeating sessions that introduce the sport of orienteering, and provide enough instruction to be able to complete the Beginner (White) course.
Note that you must return to the Finish by 2:00 PM, and then go to the download tent, even if you have not finished your course. Please do not leave without checking in! If there are unaccounted people after 2:00, we must initiate a search for them.
Registration and Costs
- Note: There is a special Summer Series Discount Package for BAOC members. The details are described here.
- You do not need to register for this event if you have registered for the Summer Series Discount Package.
The following fees apply at this event (if you have not registered for the Summer Series Discount Package):
- $3 for each junior on the Beginner course
- $8 for each adult on the Beginner course
- $5 for each junior on the Short or Long course
- $15 for each adult member on the Short or Long course
- $20 for each adult non-member on the Short or Long course
- $1 for a compass rental (optional)
- $5 for an electronic fingerstick rental (optional, but each team will need one to complete the course)
- $15 for the lowest-cost individual one-year BAOC membership (optional)
In addition to the above costs, there is a $6 per-car park fee that you will pay at the entrance kiosk.
- You can register at the event or online before the event (see below).
- At the event, we can accept payment by cash or check (but no electronic payments).
- Juniors are age 8 through 20 (under age 8 is free).
- There is no charge for a second course (but you must end up paying for the more expensive course—i.e., Short or Long after beginner).
- Members of other orienteering clubs can pay the “member” fee. (We hope your club would do the same for our members. 🙂)
More information about event pricing is available in the club FAQ. All the prices are also shown on the standard entry form (PDF/12KB), which you can print and fill out in advance to save some time at the event. (You will need one entry form for each group of people going on a course together.)
Optional Online Registration
You can (but are not required to) register online here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/vasona2023) for this event, but only if you are registering as an individual (i.e., not a group, team, troop, etc.). BAOC members have the option of registering here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/23sspackage) for the Summer Series Discount Package. In either case, you must pay via PayPal (with credit card, debit card, or PayPal account).
Note: If you register online, you must pay online sometime before the event, and you must complete the online waiver.
Online registration for this event will close on Saturday, June 17th, at 6:00 PM.
- Do not register for this event if you have registered for the Summer Series Discount Package (which is available only to club members).
- Online registration is not required—you can register at the event. Individuals might want to register in advance to simplify check-in at the event.
- Online registration is available only to individuals, not to groups (i.e., sharing a single E-stick). Groups must register at the event.
- Compass rental cannot be arranged during online registration, but you can register online and rent a compass at the event.
- E-punch fingerstick rental can be arranged during online registration.
- You can see who is registered here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/reglist/home/vasona2023) (but keep in mind that others will register at the event and through the Summer Series Discount Package).
What to Bring
Comfortable outdoors attire and walking shoes are fine for those who will walk their course.
For runners, any comfortable running shoes (without metal spikes) are appropriate. The courses will include lots of pavement and concrete, and some off-trail legs. Because this is an open park, leg cover or gaiters are not necessary.
A compass is not necessary, but can be helpful. We have compasses available for a $1 rental fee.
We time the courses with the SPORTident system, so each entry/team needs to have a SPORTident fingerstick. If you don’t have your own, you can rent one at registration for $5. (Use of the “E-punch” system is easy. You can learn how at the event, or read about it here.)
Picnic tables, piped water, and flush toilets are available, so please feel free to bring along a picnic lunch to enjoy after you finish your course(s).
Location Within the Park
We hope to be allowed to post direction signs, but in any case, registration, starts, and finishes will be at one of the group picnic areas (which will be identified here closer to the event date). There should be a large BAOC club banner visible at the assembly area.
The course details will be posted here closer to the event date. In addition to the course details, be sure to read the Course Setter’s comments about the courses.
Request for Volunteers
As usual, we need a some people to help set up, do beginner clinics, staff the Start, and pick up controls.
This is a great venue for people just starting out in orienteering, and we want enough volunteers to give them a great experience.
If you can help, please contact Tac Sugiyama, the Event Director ().
The approximate coordinates of the park entrance are 37.2345,-121.9729. The address of the park is 333 Blossom Hill Rd, Los Gatos.
To get to Vasona Lake, take Highway 17 South from San Jose. Exit at Lark Avenue and turn left (east, over the highway at the light). At the first traffic light, turn right (south) onto Los Gatos Boulevard. Turn right again (west) at a traffic light onto Blossom Hill Road. After crossing over Highway 17 again, the park entrance will be on your right.
There is a $6 park fee per car, which you pay at a kiosk. The machine accepts credit cards.
Please be careful driving on the park roads. In addition to orienteers, there could be many other park visitors.
¹ ISSOM = International Specification for Sprint Orienteering Maps (which is available here (PDF/284KB)). A newer edition of the Specification (ISSprOM 2019-2) is available here (PDF/1.2MB)). A one-page list of Sprint-map symbols is available here (PDF/600KB).