“Sprint” Adventure Running Festival
Atascadero, Morro Bay, & San Luis Obispo, CA
Date: May. 27 - 29, 2023
Event Directors: - 510.681.6181,
Course Setters: Rex Winterbottom, Matej Šebo
Type: A; 3 days, 6 events (1 NRE Sunday AM); for runners, walkers, hikers of all ages; new maps; 2km–3km courses; variety of formats; about 20 controls per course; terraloco events: Stages 1, 2, 3, 5, 6; BAOC events: Stages 3 & 4 = BAOC Summer Series event #1
Here is a summary of the planned events:
- Sat, May 27, Stage 1: Trial – Midday at Heilmann Regional Park, Atascadero; terraloco event; Rex is ED/CS
- Sat, May 27, Stage 2: Urban – Late afternoon at Morro Bay waterfront; terraloco event; Rex is ED/CS
- Sun, May 28, Stage 3: Campus NRE – Morning at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo; BAOC event; Matej Šebo is ED/CS; hosted by the Cal Poly Distance Club (https://calpolydistance.club/)
- Sun, May 28, Stage 4: Chase – Early afternoon at Cal Poly "architectural graveyard"; BAOC event; Matej Šebo is ED/CS; hosted by the Cal Poly Distance Club (https://calpolydistance.club/)
- Sun, May 28, Stage 5: Ascent – Late afternoon at Terrace Hill, San Luis Obispo (staging at Sinsheimer Park); terraloco event; Rex is ED/CS
- Mon, May 29, Stage 6: Motala – Morning at Waller Park, Santa Maria; terraloco event; Rex is ED/CS
More information is on this terraloco webpage (https://go-terraloco.blogspot.com/2023/01/0527-29-slo-go.html).
Course Setters’ Notes are available here.
May 28th Sprint at Cal Poly SLO Approved as an NRE
Course setter Matej Šebo has described Cal Poly as a terrific sprint venue, and the event there on May 28th has been approved by OUSA as a National Ranking Event. This race will be one of six in the San Luis Obispo area to be held over Memorial Day weekend, all on brand new maps.
In addition to being an NRE, the BAOC event on May 28th will be the first event of the BAOC 2023 Summer Series.
SLO is a popular destination, so make your lodging reservations now!
How often can you orienteer on six new maps in one weekend?
Explore the central coast parks in San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Atascadero, and Santa Maria/Orcutt! Including an NRE at Cal Poly!
May 27–29 is coming soon!
- Stage 1: Heilmann Park is hilly, but not steep, and no undergrowth or P.O., but almost completely forested.
- Stage 2: Morro Bay downtown has tricky multilevel stuff along the waterfront.
- Stage 3 & 4: Matej’s Cal Poly maps of the campus and the “architectural graveyard” are stunning!
- Stage 5: Terrace Hill has forest, chaparral that’s runnable, boulders and cliffs, trails, and ends with stunning views.
- Stage 6: Waller Park is a mix of developed parklands and wild, but completely runnable pine-forested sand dunes.
Complete event information is here (https://go-terraloco.blogspot.com/2023/01/0527-29-slo-go.html). Stake your claim and get a wonderful package deal on EventRegister here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/slo-go).
Note: The stages at Cal Poly on May 28th are official BAOC events, and we need the usual volunteers (hospitality, registration, E-punch, starts, checkpoint pickup, ...), so please contact me if you can help. Thanks!
– Rex Winterbottom ()