Browns Valley Open Space Preserve
Date: (Sun.) Oct. 22, 2023
Location: Vacaville, CA
Event Director: - 510.681.6181
Course Setters: Richard Thorsted, Rex Winterbottom
Type: B; New map of a “smaller Morgan Territory” with bigger rocks and fewer trees
We’ve made a new map of this interesting area. Richard Thorsted is supporting with Course Setting.
There are some photos of the terrain here (https://photos.app.goo.gl/AwT3thZBytU4UtTW6).
You can find information about Browns Valley Open Space Preserve here (https://www.visitvacaville.com/directory/browns-valley-open-space/).
- This will be Tapio’s birthday. He will be there. Celebrate!
- “Pro Tip” from the Registrar: Instead of heading straight back to the freeway after your run, take a beautiful scenic country drive. Head north on Browns Valley Rd (~2 mi) to Cantelow Rd, west on Cantelow (6.2 mi) to Pleasants Valley Rd, then south on Pleasants Valley Rd (6.4 mi) to get back to I-80. You can stop by the Morningsun Herb Farm (https://morningsunherbfarm.com/) (6137 Pleasants Valley Rd; 5.3 mi S of Cantelow Rd) to pick up some plants for your garden or kitchen. (Alternatively, you could head to the factory stores for some bargains!)
- Comment from Dennis Wildfogel: We don't get many opportunities to run a course on a real orienteering map of terrain that none of us have ever experienced before. I've never been to Browns Valley, only seen a few photos. Is it great terrain? I dunno. But I sure intend to take advantage of the opportunity to run at a new place. Hope a great many of you will, too.
The standard BAOC event schedule will be followed:
- 9:00 AM – 11:59 AM: Registration open
- 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM: Beginner clinic instruction (free)
- 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM: Starts are open
- 2:00 PM: Course closes, checkpoint control pick-up begins
- Note: At on-site registration, all juniors must be accompanied by parents or legal guardians, or bring with them a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian (the registration form is available here [12KB PDF]).
Note that you can register and start on the course anytime during the open times above. Thus, for example, you do not need to be “punctual” at 9:00 (you can if you want, but please don’t show up earlier and expect to be served).
Beginner clinics are 15–20 minute, repeating sessions that introduce the sport of orienteering, and provide enough instruction to be able to complete the course at this event.
Note that you must return to the Finish by 2:00 PM, and then go to the download table, even if you have not finished your course. Please do not leave without checking in! We need to have everyone accounted for so checkpoint pick-up can start on time so those volunteers can get home.
Costs and Registration
The following fees apply at this event:
- $3 for each junior on a Beginner course
- $8 for each adult on a Beginner course
- $5 for each junior on the Intermediate or an Advanced course
- $15 for each adult club member on the Intermediate or an Advanced course
- $20 for each adult non-member on the Intermediate or an Advanced course
- $1 for a compass rental (optional)
- $5 for an electronic fingerstick rental (optional, but each team will need one to complete the course)
- $15 for the lowest-cost individual one-year BAOC membership (optional)
- You can register at the event or online before the event (see below).
- At the event, we can accept payment by cash, check, or credit/debit card (but no electronic payments [e.g., Venmo]).
- Juniors are age 8 through 20 (under age 8 is free).
- There is no charge for a second course (but you must end up paying for the more expensive course—i.e., Short or Long after Beginner).
- Members of other orienteering clubs can pay the “member” fee. (We hope your club does the same for our members. 🙂)
More information about event pricing is available in the club FAQ. All the prices are also shown on the standard entry form (PDF/12KB), which you can print and fill out in advance to save some time at the event. (You will need one entry form for each group of people going on a course together.)
Optional Online Registration
Online registration has closed, but you can still register at the event.
- Online registration is not required—you can register at the event.
- You can see who is registered here (https://eventreg.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/reglist/home/vacaville2023) (but keep in mind that others will register at the event).
What To Bring
There will be drinking water at the assembly area (at the school), but limited water on the courses. There is no water on the Beginner (White & Yellow) courses. There is one water stop on the Intermediate (Orange) and Advanced (Brown through Blue) courses. Thus, you should consider carrying water if you think you will take a “long time” to complete your course.
Comfortable outdoors attire and walking shoes are fine for the Beginner (White & Yellow) courses.
For Intermediate (Orange) and Advanced (Brown through Blue) courses, leg cover or gaiters are recommended, as well as shoes with some extra grip on the sole.
A compass is not absolutely necessary, but can be very helpful (especially on the Advanced courses). We have compasses available for a $1 rental fee.
We time the courses with the SPORTident system, so each entry/team needs to have a SPORTident fingerstick. If you don’t have your own, you can rent one at registration for $5 (note that there’s a significant charge for a lost rental). (Use of the “E-punch” system is easy. You can learn how at the event, or read about it here.)
- Browns Valley Elementary School
- 333 Wrentham Drive
- Vacaville, CA 95688
There's a sheltered picnic area on campus with plenty of tables. There are restrooms and water fountains nearby.
As you’ll see below, there will be a longish walk from the school to the Open Space park. We’re focusing on the school because it’s the closest facility with restrooms.
This will be a standard 7-course event. Here are the course details:
Course Length Climb Controls Navigation White 2.6 km 210 m 18 Beginner Yellow 2.8 km 210 m 10 Advanced Beginner Orange 4.1 km 325 m 13 Intermediate Brown 2.6 km 200 m 10 Advanced Green 4.0 km 235 m 14 Advanced Red 5.4 km 360 m 19 Advanced Blue 6.7 km 430 m 21 Advanced
- Beginners should be aware that the distances shown are the cumulative straight-line distances between controls. The climb numbers represent the amount of ascending that would be done on the “optimum route” (in the Course Setter’s opinion), without regard for any descending. Because you won’t travel in straight lines, and might not follow the optimum routes, your actual distance and climb will be somewhat more than what is shown above, and will depend on your route choices (and any errors you make).
Be sure to read the Course Setters’ Notes for more information.
There is a 0.5-mile walk from the school to the Start. The return walk from the Finish is 0.25 mile.
The new map has been created with a 1:10000 scale, but the courses will be printed at 1:7500 to improve visibility.
Request for Volunteers
We’re recruiting for event-day volunteers. As usual, we’ll need help with the following:
- Beginner Clinics
- First Aid
- Control Pickup
Jay Hann of Western Race Services will be supporting E-punch.
Please help us make it happen — contact Rex () if you can help!
The approximate coordinates of the school parking lot are 38.3833,-121.9832.
From the Bay Area or the Sacramento area, make your way to I-80 through Vacaville. Take exit 55 for Nut Tree Parkway/Allison Drive/Monte Vista Ave.
If you’re coming from the Bay Area, turn left onto Allison Dr. After 0.7 mile, turn left onto Browns Valley Pkwy. After 0.8 mile, turn left onto Wrentham Dr. After 0.5 mile, the school will be on your right.
If you’re coming from the Sacramento area, turn left onto E Monte Vista Ave, and then turn right onto Browns Valley Pkwy. After 1.2 mile, turn left onto Wrentham Dr. After 0.5 mile, the school will be on your right. (Google Maps shows other routes if you want to get off I-80 earlier.)