|Table of Contents|
Shell Ridge Open Space
Date: (Sun.) Mar. 29, 2020
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Course Setter: Martin Kunz
Type: B; Standard 7-course event for beginners through advanced (pending park approval)
What is Orienteering?
An adventure! Discover the outdoors and discover yourself! You can explore a course by yourself or go as a team with your friends. You will get a highly detailed orienteering map, probably unlike any map you have seen before. The map will have a lot of detail on it, such as fences, boulders, lone trees, vegetation boundaries, and anything else you might see. Your course will be printed on the map.
Orienteering is easy to learn, a challenge to master, and incredibly fun! You can read more about orienteering here.
- 9:00 AM – 11:59 AM: Registration open
- 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM: Beginners’ clinic instruction (free)
- 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM: Starts are open for all courses
- 2:00 PM: Courses close, checkpoint control pick-up begins
At registration, all juniors must be accompanied by parents or legal guardians, or bring with them a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian. (The registration form is available below.)
Note that you can register and start on the courses anytime during the open times above. Thus, for example, you do not need to be “punctual” at 9:00 (but you can if you want, but please don’t show up earlier and expect to be served).
Beginners’ clinics are 15–20 minute, repeating sessions that introduce the sport of orienteering, and provide enough instruction to be able to complete the beginner (White) course.
Note that you must return to the Finish by 2:00 PM, and then go to the download tent, even if you have not finished your course. Please do not leave without checking in! If there are unaccounted people after 2:00, we must initiate a search for them.
After you finish, enjoy free refreshments, and stick around and socialize with other participants!
The following fees apply at this event:
- $3 for each junior on beginner’s (White) and advanced beginner’s (Yellow) courses
- $8 for each adult on beginner’s and advanced beginner’s courses
- $5 for each junior on intermediate (Orange) and advanced (Brown–Blue) courses
- $15 for each member on intermediate and advanced courses
- $20 for each non-member on intermediate and advanced courses
- $1 for a compass rental (optional)
- $5 for an electronic fingerstick rental (if you don’t own one; you’ll need one to complete the course)
- $15 for the lowest-cost individual one-year BAOC membership (optional)
More information about event pricing is available in the club FAQ. All the prices are also shown on the standard entry form (PDF/90KB), which you can print and fill out in advance to save some time at the event. (You will need one entry form for each group of people going on a course together.)
- Online registration might be available for this event. Check back here later.
- At the event, we are able to accept payment only by cash or check—no credit cards or electronic payments.
- Juniors are age 8 through 20 (under age 8 is free).
- There is no charge for a second course (but you must end up paying for the more expensive course).
- Members of other orienteering clubs can pay the “member” fee. (We hope your club would do the same for our members. 🙂)
More information about event pricing is available in the club FAQ.
What to Bring
For beginner courses (White and Yellow), comfortable outdoors attire and shoes are fine.
For intermediate (Orange) and advanced (Brown through Blue) courses, leg cover or gaiters are recommended, as well as shoes with some extra grip on the sole.
A compass is not necessary, but can be very helpful. We have compasses available for a $1 rental fee.
We time the courses with the SPORTident system, so each entry/team needs to have a SPORTident fingerstick. If you don’t have your own, you can rent one at registration for $5. (Use of the E-punch system is easy. You can learn how at the event, or read about it here.)
The course details will be posted here closer to the event. Be sure to read the Course Setter’s Notes after they are posted (they will be linked here).
Request for Volunteers
As usual, we need many volunteers at this event. In particular, we could use a few people for these tasks:
- Crew to set up Registration and E-punch tents (prior to registration opening at 9:00)
- Set up (prior to 10:00)
- Beginner’s clinics (between 9:30 and 10:30)
- Starts (9:45 to 11:00 and 11:00 to 12:30)
- Control pickup (after 2:00)
Please contact the Event Director, , to reserve your spot before they’re all taken! 😉