“Corona” course at Tilden Park
Tilden Regional Park
Dates: June 5, 2020 to ??
Location: Berkeley, CA
Type: Training; One 4.2 km course for practice/exercise during the shutdown
September 3rd Update
- Tilden Regional Park is currently open. You can check the status here (https://www.ebparks.org/parks/tilden/default.htm).
- This is not an official BAOC event, and we do not have a park permit for these courses.
- Be careful for your safety. Tell somebody where you will be and when you expect to return.
- Be mindful of the general COVID-19 restrictions, and any specific restrictions that might apply to the park.
I put out nine streamers for a 4.2 km course at Tilden Park (http://www.ebparks.org/parks/tilden) (the map closest to our house). The map, control descriptions, and course notes (which are also below) can be found here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xd11izyiscuvz31/AAAt1h_liwjV-JvTJbBGNw7Da?dl=0).
The Start is near the Botanic Garden entrance (the garden is closed). Parking is nearby at these coordinates: 37.8926,-122.2430.
A registration form is here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b1bZVLn1i4s4dcXdNWXd18d4mtQfruPuCidZEIJvHAw/edit). Please use it before and after you visit the park.
- The map scale is 1:10,000, with 5 m contours.
- Controls are pink streamers.
- The course is in some of the more open areas of Tilden, but it is still very rough, and the vegetation is high. The map is not always a good indication of what is passable.
- There is an unmapped fallen tree just after leaving the Start on the direct route to number 1.
- There is lots of poison oak and long grass. Check for ticks afterwards.
Thanks to all who have been putting out courses.
(June 5, 2020)