“Corona” Training Courses
Dates: March 23, 2020 to ??
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Course Setters: Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Misha Kreslavsky, Rex Winterbottom, François Léonard, Marie-Josée Parayre, Luc Poppe, George Minarik, John Crowther, Steve Gregg, Matej Šebo, Werner Haag
Type: Training; Streamered courses at various parks for practice/exercise during the shutdown
November 16th Update
- Several East Bay parks are closed for a few days due to Red Flag Warnings and extreme fire conditions. You should check here (https://www.ebparks.org/news/covid_19_park_and_trail_updates.htm) before visiting an East Bay park.
- Morgan Territory Regional Preserve (https://www.ebparks.org/parks/morgan/default.htm) has reopened. (However, be aware that the controls on some of the courses have been picked up, as noted below.)
- Big Basin State Park (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=540) is closed because of the fire (and is unlikely to open for many months).
- Trione-Annadel State Park has partially reopened, but the course appears to go in an area that is still closed. You can check on the status here (https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=480).
- The other parks listed below seem to be open. East Bay Regional Parks can be checked here (https://www.ebparks.org/default.htm) (select the park at the top right of the page) or here (https://www.ebparks.org/news/covid_19_park_and_trail_updates.htm).
Thanks to Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Misha Kreslavsky, Rex Winterbottom, François Léonard, Marie-Josée Parayre, Luc Poppe, George Minarik, John Crowther, Steve Gregg, Matej Šebo, Werner Haag and Bill & Heidi Cusworth you have chances to get out of the house and run/walk some courses around the Bay Area.
Details of the courses are on the following webpages. Each page describes the courses, and provides a link to the map(s).
- Briones Regional Park – Brown and Green courses – Gavin
- Joe Grant County Park, San Jose – Three point-to-point courses & Score-O – Misha – Park open (status as of 10/16; website (https://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/parkfinder/Pages/JosephDGrant.aspx))
- Sulphur Springs, Vallejo – One 3.9 km course – Rex
- Sugarloaf Open Space, Walnut Creek – One 3.8 km course – Rex
Morgan Territory, Livermore – Two courses – François & Marie-Josée
Controls were removed Sunday, May 31st — new course listed below
- Las Trampas, Alamo – One 5.2 km course – Luc
- Sycamore Valley Regional Open Space Preserve, Danville – Two courses – Rex
- Presidio of San Francisco, San Francisco – One course at Fort Scott – Rex
- Lower Kensington – 6 km Street-O course – George
- North Berkeley (Thousand Oaks) – 7 km Street-O course – George
- Big Basin State Park, Boulder Creek – Two courses – Misha – Park closed (website (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=540))
Morgan Territory, Livermore – Two (new) courses – François
Controls were removed Sunday, November 22nd
- Tilden Park, Berkeley – One 4.2 km course – John
- Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland – Two-option course – Rex
- Point Pinole, Richmond – 5.5 km Bike-O course – Steve
- Trione-Annadel State Park, Santa Rosa – Middle course – Gavin – Park partially closed (status as of 10/16; website (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=480))
- Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve, Antioch – Middle course – François
- Morgan Territory, Livermore – Middle-style course – Matej – Park open (status as of 11/15; website (https://www.ebparks.org/parks/morgan/default.htm))
- Evergreen Valley College, San Jose – Two Courses – Werner
- Trione-Annadel State Park, Santa Rosa (http://www.navxchallenge.com/navx-annadel-maprunner-2020) – NAV-X Map Trekking training course – Bill & Heidi
- These are not official BAOC events, and we do not have park permits for these courses.
- Be careful for your safety. Tell somebody where you will be and when you expect to return.
- Be mindful of the general COVID-19 restrictions, and any specific restrictions that might apply to the parks.