Public Event at Scout-O Championships
TBD East Bay Regional Park
Date: (Sun.) Oct. 13, 2019
Event Director: - 925.934.6567
Course Setter: Gavin Wyatt-Mair
Type: B; Open Event for non-Scouts — Regular 7-course BAOC event in conjunction with the Scout-O Championships (pending park approval)
We return, once again, to for the 27th annual Scout-O Championships. As in previous years, this "open" event is being held in conjunction with the Scout-O Champs.
All the courses will have E-punching. Beginner (White), Advanced Beginner (Yellow), Intermediate (Orange), and Advanced (Brown, Green, Red, and Blue) courses will be offered (see below). Grass stickers and poison oak are present, so be sure to wear long pants, and to wear gaiters on the off-trail courses.
Since the annual Scout-O will be held concurrently with this regular event, we expect a sizable crowd. Although preregistration is required for the Scout-O, it is not required for the BAOC B-meet.
BAOC members: Please note that your showing is very good publicity for the club, and sets an example for hundreds of scouts and adults to see!! Please do come, with your best O-gear, a smile, and a word of encouragement for the youngsters.
If you have any questions, contact the Event Director, , at 925-934-6567.
Registration will be open from 9:00 AM to noon.
Beginner clinics will be available from 9:30 to 10:30 AM. These are short, repeating sessions that introduce orienteering, and provide enough instruction to be able to complete a beginners (White) course.
Starts will be at the usual times: from 10:00 to 12:30.
The Finish will close at 2:00 PM. Everyone must report to the Finish by then, and then to the E-punch download tent (i.e., even if they have not completed their course).
The following fees apply at this event:
- $3 for each junior on beginners (White) and advanced beginners (Yellow) courses
- $8 for each adult on beginners and advanced beginners courses
- $5 for each junior on intermediate (Orange) and advanced (Brown, Green, Red, Blue) courses
- $15 for each member on intermediate and advanced courses
- $20 for each non-member on intermediate and advanced courses
- $1 for a compass rental (optional)
- $5 for an electronic fingerstick rental (if you don't own one; you'll need one to complete the course)
- $15 for the lowest-cost individual one-year BAOC membership (optional)
- Online registration might be available for this event. Check here closer to the event date.
- At the event, we are able to accept payment only by cash or check—no credit cards or electronic payments.
- Juniors are age 8 through 20 (under age 8 is free).
- Members of other orienteering clubs can pay the "member" fee.
More information about event pricing is available in the club FAQ. All the prices are also shown on the standard entry form (PDF/90KB), which you can print and fill out in advance to save some time at the event. (You will need one entry form for each group of people going on a course together.)
What to Bring
For the beginner (White) course, comfortable outdoors attire and shoes are fine.
Due to the dry weather, matted grasses, and loose soils, we recommend O-shoes or shoes with cleats on the intermediate (Orange) and advanced (Brown through Blue) courses. Hiking boots with an aggressive tread are recommended for the advanced beginner (Yellow) course.
A compass is not necessary, but can be helpful. We have compasses available for a $1 rental fee.
We time the courses with the SPORTident system, so each entry/team needs to have a SPORTident fingerstick. If you don't have your own, you can rent one at registration for $5. (Use of the "E-punch" system is easy. You can learn how at the event, or read about it here.)
Details will be provided here closer to the event date.
Course information will be available closer to the event date.
Request for Volunteers
If you are able and willing to help out on the day of the meet, or before, we sure could use your help! Please contact .
Will be provided after the park is identified.