23rd Annual Golden Goat & Golden Kid
Shell Ridge Open Space
Date: (Sun.) Mar. 31, 2019
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Event Director: - 925.516.7622
Course Setter: Erin Schirm
Type: 23rd annual event with an extra-long "Goat" course, and a long "Kid" course, with a shared mass start; and a regular beginner course with separated starts
Please join us on Sunday, March 31st at Shell Ridge Open Space for the 23rd Golden Goat. Shell Ridge is gorgeous this time of year—green rolling hills, scattered oaks, and blooms of wildflowers.
The Golden Goat, and the shorter Golden Kid, is a mass-start event, traditionally emphasizing long and hilly courses with some other deviations from traditional point-to-point orienteering.
In addition to the Goat and Kid courses, a beginner (White) course will be available at this event, with short introductory sessions for those new to orienteering. Beginners are welcome!
Online registration is available here (https://www.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/2019goat) (until 5:00 PM on March 30th)—it is encouraged, but is not required. (Advance registration simplifies check-in at the event, and helps us predict the needed maps.)
Note that this event has a non-standard schedule, with a combined mass start for the Goat and Kid, and a non-standard period for separated starts on the beginner (White) course.
- 9:00 – 9:45 AM: Registration in the parking lot/assembly area
- 9:30 – 10:30 AM: Beginner instruction (times approximate)
- 9:50 AM: Instructions for the Goat and Kid
- 10:00 AM: Mass start for the Goat and Kid
- 10:10 AM – noon: Starts for the beginner (White) course
- 1:00 PM or sooner: Awards ceremony (Goat and Kid)
- 2:00 PM: All courses close, pick-up of all controls begins
- People can start on the beginner (White) course anytime during the period shown above (but not earlier or later, please).
- There is a four-hour time limit for the Goat and Kid courses.
- For the beginner (White) course, the time limit is three hours or 2:00 PM, whichever is earlier.
- Everyone must return to the assembly area by 2:00 PM and check in at the download table. The Goat, especially, travels a long distance from the Start/Finish—make sure you allow time to return!
The following fees apply at this event:
- $3 for each junior (age 8 through 20) on the beginner's (White) course
- $8 for each adult on the beginner's course
- $5 for each junior on the Goat and Kid courses
- $15 for each member on the Goat and Kid courses
- $20 for each non-member on the Goat and Kid courses
- $1 for a compass rental (optional)
- $5 for an electronic fingerstick rental (if you don't own one; you'll need one to complete the course)
- $15 for the lowest-cost individual one-year BAOC membership (optional)
- BAOC has a new fee structure for 2019, as shown above.
- Online registration is available here (https://www.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/register/start/2019goat). It is not required—you can register at the event. (Online registration will close at 5:00 PM on March 30th.) Individuals and groups might want to register in advance to simplify check-in at the event. Credit cards are accepted for online registration. You can see who has already entered here (https://www.orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/a40/reglist/home/2019goat) (but keep in mind that people will also be registering at the event).
- At the event, we are able to accept payment only by cash or check—no credit cards or electronic payments.
- There is no longer a discount for "additional people" on a team.
More information about event pricing is available in the club FAQ. All the prices are also shown on the standard entry form (PDF/90KB), which you can print and fill out in advance to save some time at the event. (You will need one entry form for each group of people going on a course together.)
Location In The Park
The assembly area will be at the Bob Pond Picnic Area in Shell Ridge Open Space (near Borges Ranch).
Note: Do not park at the Registration/Start area at Bob Pond Picnic Area. Instead, park at the Orchard Staging Area/Castle Rock Parking lot (see the directions below), then take a 15-minute (70 m climb) walk/hike from the parking lot. Or the driver can drop off the group at Bob Pond (see below), immediately drive 5 minutes back to parking, and then do the 15-minute walk to Bob Pond.
There are toilets at the parking lot, and toilets and water at the Registration/Start area at Bob Pond Picnic Area.
The Golden Goat will be extra long and strenuous, and the Golden Kid will be (only) long and strenuous. The course details will be available later.
There will be special prizes for the first-place winners (man and woman) of the Goat and the winners (man and woman) of the Kid. The awards ceremony will take place soon after the awardees have finished.
In addition, the top 15 finishers on the Golden Goat earn Golden Goat Lifetime Points. The current table of these points, and the rules for their awarding, are available here (PDF/82KB).
If you don’t plan on running the Goat or Kid, please consider volunteering for beginners clinics or starts of the White course. We will also need many people for control pickup. ☺
If you can commit in advance, please email , the Event Director. Volunteers will also be enthusiastically accepted at the event.
The approximate coordinates of the parking lot are 37.8955,-121.9967. You will have to walk to the Registration/Start area from there as described above.
- Traveling north on I-680:
- Take the Ygnacio Valley Road exit (#46B, just north of the Hwy 24 interchange). Turn right onto Ygnacio Valley Road and go 2.3 miles to Walnut Avenue (past Walnut Blvd). Turn right onto Walnut Avenue (not Walnut Blvd), and continue 1.5 miles to a roundabout. Take the first exit onto Castle Rock Rd. See below for the continuation from there.
- Traveling south on I-680:
- Take the N Main Street exit (#47), and head south on N Main St. Turn left onto Ygnacio Valley Road and go to Walnut Avenue (past Walnut Blvd). Turn right onto Walnut Avenue (not Walnut Blvd), and continue 1.5 miles to a roundabout. Take the first exit onto Castle Rock Rd. See below for the continuation from there.
- Coming from the east:
- Take Ygnacio Valley Rd to Oak Grove Rd. Turn left onto Oak Grove Rd, and proceed for 1.0 mile to a roundabout. Take the second exit onto Castle Rock Rd. See below for the continuation from there.
- Common to both approaches:
- In 1.4 miles you will reach the Orchard Staging Area/Castle Rock Parking lot.
- Note: If you want to drop people off close to the assembly area, turn right onto the signed road to Borges Ranch (about 1 mile from the roundabout), and continue for 0.6 mile to the Bob Pond parking area (approximate coordinates 37.8919,-122.0026). (You cannot park there.)
There's a map here that shows the location of the parking lot.