2019 U.S. Nationals
Big Basin Redwoods State Park & Cabrillo College, Aptos
Date: Sep. 6 - 8, 2019
Location: Boulder Creek & Aptos, CA
Event Directors: - 925.934.6567, - 408.313.3753
Course Setters: Nick Corsano, Misha Kreslavsky, TBD (You?)
Type: A; Friday afternoon Middle and Saturday morning Long, both at Big Basin; Sprint, Relay, & Trail-O on Sunday at Cabrillo College in Aptos; sanctioning for U.S. Nationals has been approved (entry deadlines: July 28, Aug 25)
This event has been officially sanctioned as an NRE and as the 2019 U.S. Nationals.
will be the Event Director for the Big Basin events, and will be the Event Director for the Cabrillo College events. Our thanks to them and the course setters for organizing this event. However, they won't be able to do it alone—they will need lots of help.
We will be using a completely revised map of Big Basin. A brand new map of Cabrillo College will be used for the first-ever orienteering event to be held there.
More information will be available closer to the event.
Here is an overview of the event schedule. See the Bulletin for more details.
- Monday, July 28, 11:59 PM PDT – Discounted registration closes
- Monday, August 25, 11:59 PM PDT – Preregistration closes
- Thursday, Sept 5, 1:00–6:00 PM – Model event at Big Basin Redwoods State Park
- Friday, Sept 6, 10:00 AM – Model event at Big Basin Redwoods State Park opens
- Friday, Sept 6, 1:30 PM – Middle Championships at Big Basin Redwoods State Park begin
- Saturday, Sept 7, 10:00 AM – Long Championships at Big Basin Redwoods State Park begin
- Saturday, Sept 7, 4:00–6:00 PM – OUSA Annual General Meeting at Cabrillo College
- Saturday, Sept 7, 6:00–9:00 PM – Event dinner at Cabrillo College Cafeteria
- Saturday, Sept 7, 8:00 PM – Deadline for names of Sprint Relay team members
- Sunday, Sept 8, 8:00 AM – Trail-O event at Cabrillo College begins
- Sunday, Sept 8, 8:30 AM – Sprint Championships at Cabrillo College Amphitheater begin
- Sunday, Sept 8, 12:30 PM – Sprint Relay mass start at Cabrillo College Amphitheater
- Sunday, Sept 8, 2:00 PM – Award ceremony at Cabrillo College Amphitheater
Registration details here and online registration are coming here "soon". (We apologize for the delay in providing online registration, but the registration website is undergoing a revamp.) For now, see the Bulletin for details (and do not try to use its registration link).
Bulletin #1 (version 5) is available here (PDF/1MB).¹
- The URL in the Bulletin for event registration currently does not work. We hope to have it fixed soon.
- Other details are also subject to change (e.g., to correct errors).
Because these are National Events, the areas close to the races are embargoed (ref. OUSA Rule A.7 (http://orienteeringusa.org/rules#A7)). This is done for the purpose of fairness.
Thus, from March 20, 2019 through the completion of the events:
- Anyone who intends to compete in the September 6th or September 7th event is not allowed to visit Big Basin Redwoods State Park.
- Anyone who intends to compete in the September 8th event is not allowed to visit Cabrillo College (except if they are already a student there).
Of course, there are exceptions for activities directly associated with the events (e.g., model event, OUSA AGM, event dinner, actual competitions).
Anyone who visits the embargoed areas can still participate in the event, but will not be included in the official results, will not receive awards, and will not earn OUSA ranking credit.
(This notice does not apply to people who will participate on the recreational courses.)
¹ Note: An incorrect version of Bulletin #1 was posted 6/13/19 and removed 6/15/19. Make sure you have the "June 15, 2019" edition (or later).