Bon Tempe Reservoir
Greg Ehrensing Memorial Volunteer Appreciation Event
Date: Dec. 1 - 2, 2018
Location: Fairfax, CA
Event Director: - 415.456.8118
Course Setter: George Minarik
Type: C; Greg Ehrensing Memorial Volunteer Appreciation Event; LIMITED ATTENDANCE; RESERVATIONS REQUIRED
November 19th Update:
- As of tonight, I have one or two more spots available for Saturday, and eight more spaces for Sunday. If you are interested in coming, please contact me in short order to reserve your spot! I've vetted George's courses, and they make excellent use of the new improved map, with lots of route choice, very technical sections ( "Hillside of Death"), and very reasonable climb (by BAOC standards).
- I'm also happy to say that I saw only two small sprigs of poison oak the whole time while vetting!!!
- For those interested in a challenge on the Red course, we will have two foreign orienteers competing this year. Elite Italian orienteer, Marco Seppi, and three-time NAOC champion and former Canadian team member Mike Waddington will be running on Sunday. Come on out and see how you match up against them!
- – , Event Director
November 5th Update:
- Saturday is filling up fast, while Sunday is not even half full yet. If you are planning to attend (and we hope you are), please get your reservations in to soon to reserve your spot. If Sunday fills up, I will give priority to members willing to pick up controls at the end of the day (hint, hint).
- We will have three advanced courses, Brown, Green, and Red. We will be using E-punch, so when you contact me, please indicate the course you plan to run and your E-stick number. You can change your course choice at any time, we just use this information to get an idea of how many maps to print.
- As Event Director, I have put in a request with Mother Nature for wet, stormy weather, so we can experience the traditional historic conditions; but actually, the long-range forecast is for dry, cool days that weekend.
- As in the past, we will have baked goodies and other treats for all to enjoy. Please feel free to bring something of your own to share!
- This year's event will be held in memory of long-time club member Greg Ehrensing, who directed and course set this event several times, as well as always helping out with whatever was needed even when he wasn't on the crew that day. Greg's brother will be at the event on Saturday, and you are welcome to share some memories and stories about Greg with him. We miss you very much, Greg!
- – , Event Director
This annual event is being held in honor of the BAOC volunteers who have worked hard and used their skills to create orienteering experiences for all of us. The event is open (and free) for all who have volunteered to help at BAOC and GCO events in 2018. Also for those who have volunteered to direct events, set courses, or serve as board members in 2019.
We are also using this event to remember Greg Ehrensing, a dedicated BAOC volunteer, who particularly enjoyed this event in his "backyard".
The event will take place over two days, Saturday & Sunday, December 1st & 2nd. The courses will be the same both days.
The Bon Tempe Reservoir is a beautiful orienteering area located on the slopes of Mount Tamalpais near Fairfax in Marin County. The varied and technical challenges encompass both steep redwood forest areas and beautiful oak woodlands. The map, which is up to international standards, was made a few years ago by Bill Cusworth to replace our old, problematic map (Thanks, Bill!).
The park managers have allowed us only a limited number of spaces for each day. So, as usual, advanced reservations will be required, and will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis. Please do not show up at the park without a reservation. You will not be allowed to compete.
To reserve a spot, email with the information listed below. He will send you a confirmation. Also, he will post to the BayONet (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baoc/) if and when the daily quotas are filled. If you miss registering on time, we will put you on a waitlist in case of cancellations.
- Your name
- Your preference for Saturday, December 1, or Sunday, December 2
- Your course preference: See the course details below
- The number of your E-stick (yes, there will be E-punch!)
If you are already registered, you may modify your race day or course before the event as long as there is space available. Send an email to with your request.
Again, you must be preregistered to attend this event. If you just show up without registering, you will not be allowed to run a course.
As stated above, this event is free to all participants. Well, okay, there is an expense—there is a park fee of $8.00 per car at the park entrance. The entrance kiosk is not staffed—you will need to use one of the electronic fee machines about 200 meters beyond the kiosk. The machines take cash up to $10 bills, but they do not return change. You can also use your debit or credit card to pay at the machines.
BAOC is a great, all-volunteer organization. Thank you all for making it succeed.
Schedule For Both Days
- 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM: Starts open
- 2:00 PM: Courses close
There will be three advanced courses as detailed below. There will not be beginner courses.
Course Length Climb Controls Brown 3.1 km 145 m 10 Green 5.3 km 250 m 11 Red 6.4 km 280 m 16
More information is available in the Course Setter's Notes.
Event Volunteers Needed
We will need the following volunteers:
- Saturday and Sunday: Setup and take down
- Saturday and Sunday: Bring a holiday snack or drink to share
- Saturday and Sunday: E-punch operators
- Sunday: Control pickup
The first challenge of the event is to locate it! Due to MMWD rules, no directional signs will be posted. There are several ways to get to Bon Tempe from Highway 101 in Marin. the default route is listed here:
From Highway 101 in Greenbrae, take the Sir Francis Drake Blvd exit, and go west for 5.5 miles to the town of Fairfax. Turn left at Claus Dr (Rino gas station on the right), and then immediately take another left onto Broadway. Turn right at the next corner, which is Bolinas Rd.
Stay on Bolinas Rd for 1.5 miles. Turn left at the large, brown, wooden sign with white lettering that says "Lake Lagunitas" and "Bon Tempe" (Sky Oaks Rd). Stay on this road until you pass the (closed) ranger kiosk, and continue about 200 meters to the turnout for the two pay machines. The park fee is $8 per car, but note that the pay-and-display machines do not give change—they do accept debit or credit cards.
After placing your receipt on your windshield, proceed on the paved road to the parking lot at the very end. (Do not turn right onto the gravel road to Bon Tempe Dam.)
There's a map here that shows the location of the event.