Western Region Interscholastic Championships
Paso Nogal Park and Diablo Valley College (Saturday)
Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve (Sunday)
Date: Mar. 17 - 18, 2012
Location: Pleasant Hill & Antioch, CA
Event Director: - 925.872.3935
Course Setter: Vladimir Gusiatnikov
Type: Junior; 2 A-level Sprints, 1 mostly normal course, 3 new maps
We will have three races as part of the WRIS Champs this year. On Saturday, we will use the results from the two GetLost!! A-meet Sprints (http://getlostxx.com/Sprint/Black_Diamond/2012) in Pleasant Hill, CA. On Sunday, the third race will share the Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve in Antioch, CA with the GetLost!! rogaine (http://getlostxx.com/Get_Lost_in/Black_Diamond/2012).
All the races have new maps.
- 9:00 AM – 12:00 noon:
- Packet pick up at Road Runner Sports (1975 Diamond Blvd, Concord, in the Willows Center)
- 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM:
- Starts (pre-assigned times) for all courses at Paso Nogal Park (see below)
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM:
- Starts (pre-assigned times) for all courses at Diablo Valley College (see below)
- 3:30 PM:
- Awards at Road Runner Sports (1975 Diamond Blvd, Concord, in the Willows Center)
- 9:00 AM – 12:00 noon:
- Registration (only for WRIS Champs — see below)
- 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM:
- Starts for all courses
- 1:30 PM:
- Award Ceremony, WRIS medals for individuals and teams
- 2:00 PM:
- Courses closed, you must be back even if you didn't finish your course.
As always, we will be using electronic punching at this meet, using SPORTident finger sticks. The following models are supported: SI-Card 5, SI-Card 6, SI-Card 8, and SI-Card 9. Finger sticks are available for rent via registration for Saturday, and at the meet on Sunday.
- Everyone must register in advance on the GetLost!! Sprints website (http://getlostxx.com/Sprint/Black_Diamond/2012).
- WRIS Champs entrants register on-site Sunday morning. Normal BAOC meet fees apply.
- Note: The WRIS Champs courses will be only for students and their (optional) shadows.
- Adults can run a course by registering in advance on the GetLost!! rogaine website (http://getlostxx.com/Get_Lost_in/Black_Diamond/2012).
All students must register in advance on the BAOC COOL registration website (http://orienteeringusa.org/eventregister/baoccool1112).
Current BAOC COOL students:
- We have your information. Contact if you wish to change your team category.
Instructions for all other students:
- Ignore the "BAOC COOL 2011-2012 Season" subtitle.
- Fill out the top section.
- Check the checkbox labeled "Interscholastic Champs"
- Fill out the "Interscholastic Champs Information" section.
- Make sure that the "Team Name" field is the same for everyone on your team.
- Club teams are determined if there is more than one school on the same team.
- There is no minimum nor maximum team size.
- To "run up", competing at a higher school level, use the name of the school to which the student will matriculate, but the correct grade level. For example, a 7th grader who wants to run Varsity would choose 7th grade in the "Grade Level" field, but would use the name of the High School which he/she will attend in the future in the "School Name" field.
- Click on the "Continue" button.
- Check the first checkbox in the "Pay As You Go" section.
- Click on the "Continue" button.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on the "Register" button.
- Click on the "Register Another" button to register another student at the same address, or click on the "Checkout" button.
The event center on Saturday (and on both days for adults) will be at the Concord Road Runner Sports store:
- Willows Shopping Center
- 1975 Diamond Blvd
- Concord, CA 94520
- (925) 825-8052
The event center will be open according to the schedules for the GetLost!! Sprints (http://getlostxx.com/Sprint/Black_Diamond/2012) on Saturday and rogaine (http://getlostxx.com/Get_Lost_in/Black_Diamond/2012) on Sunday.
On both days, it will be most convenient to park at the store, and then carpool to the two Saturday event venues and use the provided shuttle on Sunday.
- The morning sprints will be at Paso Nogal Park, Paso Nogal Road and Morello Ave., Pleasant Hill. Park on Morello Ave.
- The afternoon sprints will be at Diablo Valley College, 321 Golf Club Road, Pleasant Hill. The Start area will be in view of bus stop in the north parking lot.
- The Start and Finish will be at the southern end of Somersville Road in Antioch. From Highway 4, take Exit 26B eastbound/Exit 26 westbound (Somersville Road) and go 3.7 miles and park.
- Please Note: We are limited in how many vehicles we can bring to the park. Each vehicle that brings participants to the event will need to display an event-issued parking pass ($5). In addition, the Preserve assesses a $5.00 fee for each vehicle. So it makes a lot of sense to use a free shuttle that will be provided from the event headquarters, Road Runner Sports in Concord.
Individual competition will be based on the total points from the three events. Medals will be given to the top three places in each category (see below).
Team competition will be based on the total points from each event. Each event will be scored as the sum of the three highest student scores on each team.
Each of the eight competitive categories will have its own point scoring. The fastest student in a category will earn 100 points. Other students will earn points based on their results compared to the fastest student. For example a student that takes twice the time of the fastest student will earn 50 points.
The eight competitive categories for individuals are:
- Elementary Girls
- Elementary Boys
- Middle School Girls
- Middle School Boys
- JV Girls
- JV Boys
- Varsity Girls
- Varsity Boys
Team medals will be awarded to the top 3 places of the following:
- Elementary Schools
- Elementary Clubs
- Middle School Schools
- Middle School Clubs
- JV Schools
- JV Clubs
- Varsity Schools
- Varsity Clubs
Navigation Course Length Climb Controls Climb% Difficulty
1 2.3 km 120 m 16 5.2% Very Easy 2 3.2 km 185 m 12 5.7% Easy 3 3.9 km 252 m 16 6.5% Medium 4 3.7 km 226 m 22 6.2% Advanced
The following courses will be used for the WRIS classes.
- Elementary boys and girls – Beginner/Intermediate
- Middle School boys and girls – Beginner/Intermediate
- Junior Varsity boys and girls – Beginner/Intermediate
- Varsity girls – Masters/Juniors
- Varsity boys – Masters/Juniors
- Elementary boys and girls – Course 1
- Middle School boys and girls – Course 2
- Junior Varsity boys and girls – Course 3
- Varsity girls – Course 4
- Varsity boys – Course 4
All of these courses represent the minimum level for competition. The student can always run a more difficult course, but will be scored with all the other students on the same course and gender. This includes the Blue/Red and Red as well.
There will be no recreational categories for the WRIS Champs events. See the GetLost!! Sprints (http://getlostxx.com/Sprint/Black_Diamond/2012) and rogaine (http://getlostxx.com/Get_Lost_in/Black_Diamond/2012) event information to determine which courses might be of interest to recreational participants. There will be a Map Hike on the Beginner/Intermediate courses for both Sprints, priced the same as the competitive courses.
Note: BAOC tries to provide beginner courses and instruction at its events. However, we are presenting this special Junior competition event as guests of Get Lost!! Running Racing (http://getlostxx.com/), using their courses. Anyone interested in beginner courses and instruction is invited to the BAOC Pt Pinole event on April 1 (that's no joke).
- Coming later.
- Varsity will run on a contour-only map.
- Other students will run on a 1:10,000 version of the rogaine map.
- Neither of these maps conform to ISOM or ISSOM standards.
See websites for the GetLost!! Sprints (http://getlostxx.com/Sprint/Black_Diamond/2012) on Saturday and rogaine (http://getlostxx.com/Get_Lost_in/Black_Diamond/2012) on Sunday for a map showing the location of the event center.
Take BART to the Concord station, and walk 1.9 miles to the Road Runner Sports store.