Date: (Sat.) Jul. 26, 2008
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Event Director: - 408.386.9343
Course Setter: Cameron Ferguson
Type: C; Standard White, Yellow, and Orange courses; introducing Mobile-O (2-person teams with cell phones)
Come and attend BAOCs first ever Mobile Orienteering (Mobile-O) event (that's orienteering via cell phone, for those of you who're wondering what's not mobile about their normal orienteering!). Mobile-O is fun for all ages, and adds a new twist to a fun sport—with two-person teams, one of you (the controller) stays at the start with the map; the other (the runner), with no map, is directed by the controller via mobile phone.
There are two Mobile-O courses—having completed the first course, the controller and runner swap places, and the controller gets to be the runner on the second course. These aren't navigationally difficult courses (hey, its Bayfront!), but will be quite interesting to experience in this new way! You'll need two phones (make sure you have free weekend minutes on your plan!), and a sense of humor!
The schedule for the day will be as follows:
- Registration: 9:30 AM to 12:00
- Starts: 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM (you can start any time during that period)
- Courses close at 2:00 PM
Please note: Everyone must report to E-punch download, regardless of whether or not you finish your course.
We will have repeating, short, beginner's clinics starting at 9:45, as well as Mobile-O clinics and advice. The beginner's clinics provide an introduction to orienteering, and enough information to be able to complete a beginner course.
Along with the Mobile-O there will be the usual White, Yellow, and Orange courses for beginners to intermediate orienteers.
Course Distance Climb Controls Navigation Level
White 2.3 km 40 m/130 ft/1.7% 16 Beginner Yellow 1.9 km 37 m/120 ft/1.9% 12 Advanced Beginner Orange 2.7 km 70 m/230 ft/2.5% 14 Intermediate Mobile 1 2.1 km 70 m/230 ft/3.2% 11 FUN! Mobile 2 2.3 km 49 m/160 ft/2.1% 13 REALLY FUN!
See the Course Setter's Notes for more information.
The normal event schedule will be followed:
- Registration: 9:00 A.M. – Noon
- Starts: 10:00 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
- You can start at any time during that period. If you're doing the Mobile-O courses (or any combination of courses, for that matter), make sure you start the first course early enough to be able to start the second course by 12:30.
- Beginner's clinics: 9:30 – 10:30 A.M.
- These are short, repeating introductions to orienteering that give enough information to complete a beginner course.
- Courses close: 2:00 P.M. (everyone must report to the Finish by then)
Please note: If you decide that you don't want to finish your course, please still check in at the Finish, so we'll know you've gone home safely.
From the Peninsula, North, and South, take Highway 101 to the Marsh Road East exit. Stay to the left so you can drive straight ahead into the park at the traffic signal where Marsh turns right into Bayfront Expressway.
From the East Bay, cross the Dumbarton Bridge. Go to the fifth traffic light after the bridge and turn right into the park.