21st Annual Golden Goat & Golden Kid
Sunol Regional Wilderness
Date: (Sun.) Dec. 18, 2016
Location: Sunol, CA
Course Setters: François Léonard, Nikolay Chukanov
Type: Extra-long courses with mass starts; No beginner or intermediate courses
A hearty herd of 64 goats and kids braved the early morning chill to compete in the 2016 Golden Goat at Sunol. Eventually the frost yielded to the rising sun, with near-perfect running conditions at the start.
François and Nikolay promised "epic" courses, and by all accounts they delivered.
Dennis Wilkinson turned in a phenomenal performance on the Golden Goat course to take the win. He was the only runner of the lead pack to take the left-hand option at the fork, gaining over two minutes on the 8-9-10 legs, and building a lead he would never relinquish. Mark Prior finished a strong second. Matej Šebo arrived in third, immediately followed by first-time orienteers (but obviously accomplished runners) Wayne Staats and Jeremie Dernotte, who proved that following a top navigator is a viable strategy in this unique Goat format, provided one can keep up. Their enthusiasm for the "new dimension" that orienteering adds to trail running reminded me of the first time I ventured off-trail with a map and compass.
On the Golden Kid course, Daniel Šebo emerged from the hills first, dethroning Fillan Swift, winner of the Golden Kid in three of the past four years. Gary Carpenter finished third.
There were multiple bobcat sightings, along with another large cat that was difficult to identify from a grainy smartphone photo.
And although many had already departed by mid-afternoon, Tapio Karras was recognized with the 2016 BAOC Service Award for his many contributions throughout the year, in particular for his efforts in upgrading and maintaining RouteGadget.
As a first-time event director, it was amazing to see the club's team of volunteers in action. Thank you to all who pitched in to make this event happen!
- Course Setters: François Léonard, Nikolay Chukanov
- Vetters: Fyodor Konkov, Kyle Halliday, Afsheen Mostofi
- Setup: Marie-Josée Parayre
- Start, Take-down: Fyodor Konkov, Julia Doubson
- E-Punch: Jeff Lanam, Mark Blair
- Registration: Steve Haas
- Website: Chuck Spalding
- Advice: Peter Graube, Gavin Wayatt-Mair, Steve Gregg
- EBRPD Park Supervisor: Gordon Willey
Note regarding photos: You can click on the event photos to see larger images. There are full-size images in the Photo Gallery (http://baoc.org/gallery/2016-Golden-Goat). In the Gallery, click on a "thumbnail" to see a larger image, and click on that to see the full-size image.
21st Annual Golden Goat & Golden Kid
Sunol Regional Wilderness
Sunday, December 18, 2016
Also see control-by-control timing in the WinSplits results (http://www.obasen.nu/winsplits/online/en/show_event.asp?id=46388) and linked on the event Attackpoint page (http://www.attackpoint.org/eventdetail.jsp/event_30844). (Note for those who did not finish: For technical reasons, you are listed in the splits as DISQ. This has been corrected in the results below.)
You can see the event map with the actual routes traveled by participants, and draw your own route for comparison, in RouteGadget for this event (http://baoc.org/gadget/cgi/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=388). (Use of RouteGadget is explained here.)
- Note regarding RouteGadget for this event:
- RouteGadget handles Goats and Score-O's nicely, as it has an option to use splits to determine the order in which each competitor visited the controls. In a way, each competitor makes their own course.
- Unfortunately, it took massive editing to get the Goat set up for RouteGadget, as our E-punch software MeOS doesn't output the results in the format RouteGadget wants them. I had to manually remove the skipped controls, and then add all the missing splits that were only available in a format that RouteGadget does not support. I just couldn't let these epic courses go...
The updated Golden Goat Lifetime Points table is available here (PDF/85KB). Here are some notable aspects of this year's table:
- Martin Kunz stays at #1, even without participating this year.
- Steve Gregg managed to retain second place for another year, but Mikkel Conradi is closing in on him.
- The following people moved up this year: François Léonard (1 place, due to Course Setter's credit), Dennis Wilkinson (7 places), Matej Šebo (1 place), Mark Prior (9 places), Mats Jansson (19 places), Roy Malone (20 places), Stephen Harrison (26 places!), Graham Brew (12 places), and Lubo Šebo (7 places)
- These people earned points for the first time this year: Wayne Staats, Jeremie Dernotte, Charles Triponez, and Lori Huberman.
- [Editor's note: Please report any errors in the table or these comments to .]
Golden Kid (8.3 km, 600 m climb, 16 controls)
Pl Name(s) Club Time Behind Time Lost 1 Daniel Šebo BAOC 1:42:37 0:00 2 Fillan Swift BAOC 1:49:15 +6:38 7:21 3 Gary Carpenter BAOC 2:05:59 +23:22 1:58 4 Jeffrey Kabel BAOC 2:14:44 +32:07 6:05 5 Joe Maffei BAOC 2:15:10 +32:33 0:00 6 Marina Keating BAOC 2:15:40 +33:03 3:52 7 Matthias Kohler BAOC 2:23:53 +41:16 1:23 8 Christine Brew BAOC 2:25:17 +42:40 4:54 9 Stephanie Maclean BAOC 2:25:18 +42:41 4:44 10 Justin & Leah Galbraith 3:11:08 +88:31 12:34 11 Evan Custer BAOC 3:24:48 +102:11 0:00 12 Ginny Laforme 3:28:17 +105:40 24:38 13 Sheila Cotter, Christy Slye BAOC 3:31:31 +108:54 6:42 14 Olga Kraght BAOC 3:33:24 +110:47 16:45 15 Scott Sampson BAOC 3:40:41 +118:04 4:59 16 Bart Laenens None 3:41:25 +118:48 15:20 Catherine Kazbour BAOC DNF Erin Magers GCO DNF George Minarik BAOC DNF Johanna Merriss BAOC DNF Nancy Lindeman BAOC DNF William Murphy BAOC DNF Doug & Luca Caviness BAOC DNF
Golden Goat (12.5 km, 1000 m climb, 21 controls)
Pl Name(s) Club Time Behind Time Lost 1 Dennis Wilkinson BAOC 2:09:42 1:16 2 Mark Prior BAOC 2:18:58 +9:16 0:00 3 Matej Šebo BAOC 2:22:53 +13:11 6:00 4 Wayne Staats 2:23:01 +13:19 4:29 5 Jeremie Dernotte 2:23:02 +13:20 3:23 6 Mikkel Conradi BAOC 2:30:59 +21:17 1:18 7 Mats Jansson GCO 2:52:54 +43:12 5:43 8 Charles Triponez 2:53:26 +43:44 20:21 8 Roy Malone GCO 2:53:26 +43:44 20:27 10 Stephen Harrison BAOC 3:00:24 +50:42 14:00 11 Tapio Karras BAOC 3:00:47 +51:05 9:21 12 Steve Gregg BAOC 3:04:13 +54:31 12:35 13 Graham Brew BAOC 3:04:31 +54:49 15:28 14 Lubo Šebo BAOC 3:07:58 +58:16 13:34 15 Lori Huberman BAOC 3:16:11 +66:29 2:21 16 Presto Huberman 3:16:17 +66:35 5:35 17 Kim van Berkel BAOC 3:21:01 +71:19 8:45 18 Eric Robinson BAOC 3:21:03 +71:21 13:03 19 Marie-Josée Parayre BAOC 3:21:39 +71:57 13:46 20 Misha Kreshlavsky BAOC 3:28:28 +78:46 7:39 21 Sam Coradetti 3:37:53 +88:11 18:10 22 Derek Maclean BAOC 3:38:51 +89:09 19:46 23 Kyle Peter 4:06:09 +116:27 35:38 24 Eric Rosenzweig BAOC 4:11:32 +121:50 1:54 25 Luc Poppe BAOC 4:33:14 +143:32 16:35 26 Theo Verhoven BAOC 4:45:18 +155:36 24:41 27 Gavin Wyatt-Mair BAOC 4:47:20 +157:38 19:04 Trevor Clark DNF Penny DeMoss BAOC DNF Greg Favor BAOC DNF Ivan Lopez BAOC DNF Johanna & Michelle DNF Kevin Hinkley, Terri Hunt BAOC DNF Nick Giori BAOC DNF Steve Haas BAOC DNF
DNF = Did not finish (missed one or more controls)