Bedwell Bayfront Park
Date: (Sun.) Feb. 13, 2011
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Event Director: - 925.872.3935
Course Setter: Matej Šebo
Type: C; Everyone is welcome at the BAOC COOL (Junior) event
The weather was foggy in the morning, but then it burned off — perfect weather for Orienteering. We had 116 starts, including a number of Scout troops and a Pack. There were 40 starts on Course 2, including many groups and I had only 50 maps printed, so Matej Sebo was running around getting used Course 2 maps donated so we would have enough maps.
At Bedwell Bayfront Park last Sunday we had a number of firsts:
- Matej Sebo, one of our COOL students, set all the courses for the event. This is the first time a student has done this. The feedback I got from people about the courses were 100 percent positive, with many strong favorable adjectives. Way to go, Matej!
- The first time for self-service Beginner Clinics. The new folks read the sign that said to push the "Play" button on top of the screen. This played a 5-minute DVD, the "dibber" video. I took away three things from this test:
- The only people to ask questions at the epunch tent were those that had not seen the video,
- We left the TV up all day and there were quite a few people viewing it after our normal 9:30 to 10:30 clinic window, so the need for a teaching resource later in the day is present, and
- After Alex suggested renting a screen from an adventure racing outfit, we found out that they used normal TVs, not sunlight readable, so this was a test of that. No one complained about not being able to see the screen, but it was pretty dim in the bright day, even under the canopy.
- Before Pacheco I intend to try it again, this time with a sun blocking tarp on three walls, and over the top of the canopy to see if the screen readability improves. If anyone is interested in making our own videos, let me know and I'll play them instead (smile).
- This is the first time we used OE2010 software at a meet.
- I wasn't able to figure out how to use the supposedly new feature to allow using the same stick on multiple courses. I had to change the previous entry's stick number just like we had to do in OE2003.
- The menu items had changed location, so it took a while to figure out how to access the pages that I knew were there somewhere. But after finding them, things were better than with OE2003.
- It is especially nice not to have to start a separate program for archive management. The new splits export has a bunch of new fields, and one field was deleted, so it wasn't too hard to change the COOL and BAWS scripts to read them. This is good, since we'll need to get same-day results at Tilden for the Championship awards.
- This is the first time we had a 6.9 km course at Bayfront. Mark Blair exclaimed "Wow, it was just like real Orienteering. I don't need to do a second course."
Thank you to all who helped on Sunday, including but not limited to the following:
- Control setting: Matej Sebo, Lubomir Sebo
- Setup: Matej Sebo, Lubomir Sebo, Jim Fish
- Registration: Steve Haas, Jim Fish
- Beginner Clinics: Frank Markowitz
- Starts: Frank Markowitz, Lubomir Sebo, Matej Sebo
- Epunch: Matej Sebo
- Control Pickup: Jim Fish, Susan Kim, Natalie Kim, Andrew Kim, Daniel Kim, Lubomir Sebo, Matej Sebo, (others?)
A write-up about results is coming soon.
Bedwell Bayfront Park
Menlo Park, CA
Sunday, February 13, 2011
You can see the event map with the actual routes traveled by participants, and draw your own route for comparison, in RouteGadget (introduction; Courses 1,2,3 (http://baoc.org/gadget/cgi/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=252); Courses 4,5 (http://baoc.org/gadget/cgi/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=253)).
Pl Name Category Class Time
White/Course 1 (1.9 km, 37 m climb, 14 controls) 1 Julia Doubson COOL ISPF 13:02 2 Andrew Kim COOL ISPM 16:09 3 Natalie Pelayo COOL ISPF 16:12 4 Einar Storvestre COOL ISPM 19:36 5 Gavin Smith COOL ISPM 19:58 6 Sophia, Julien, Erica Kn... BAOC White 24:14 7 Team Totoro BAOC White 25:46 8 Jamie Mclean COOL ISPM 25:49 9 Marcus MacLeod BAOC White 31:44 10 Nathan & Tommy BAOC White 32:22 11 Juliette Rault-Wang COOL ISPF 35:39 12 Ashear, Katrin, David & ... BAOC White 35:48 13 Jackson family BAOC White 36:09 14 BE Crew BAOC White 37:11 15 Chicco BAOC White 37:51 16 Randy BAOC White 37:58 17 Jung family BAOC White 38:11 18 Paul Hemmings BAOC White 39:05 19 Mary Phoenix BAOC White 41:54 Leandro Andrade COOL ISPM MSP Isaac Lau, Jarre & Ryan BAOC White DNF Yellow/Course 2 (2.8 km, 55 m climb, 12 controls) 1 Constance Storvestre COOL ISIF 24:44 2 Julia Doubson COOL ISIF2 24:48 3 Daniel Sebo COOL ISIM 25:16 4 Chuck Spalding BAOC Yellow 28:13 5 Stefania Gueorguieva BAOC Yellow 28:28 6 Johanna Karras COOL ISIF 29:16 7 Nigel Killeen BAOC Yellow 29:59 8 Jack Hopkins, Brad Burfield COOL ISIM 30:22 9 Cassandra Pelayo COOL ISIF 30:24 10 Samuel Morris COOL ISIM 31:18 11 Natalie Kim COOL ISIF 33:51 12 Daniel Kim COOL ISIM 33:56 13 Austin Schwarz, Nick Tada COOL ISIM 34:29 14 Rory Maclean COOL ISIM 37:49 15 Team Totoro BAOC Yellow 40:28 16 Team Orange BAOC Yellow 40:36 17 Masha Konkov COOL ISIF 41:14 18 Pack 340, Team 1 BAOC Yellow 41:50 19 Elizabeth Petviashvili BAOC Yellow 42:52 20 Green Team BAOC Yellow 44:32 21 Nina Schindler BAOC Yellow 46:57 22 Mike Conant BAOC Yellow 47:08 23 Boylan, Lee & Kennedy BAOC Yellow 47:43 24 Topper family BAOC Yellow 48:06 25 Pack 340, Team 2 BAOC Yellow 50:48 26 The Smart People BAOC Yellow 52:52 27 Troop 32777 BAOC Yellow 53:57 28 David, Juliet, Eli, Aidan, ... BAOC Yellow 54:43 29 Kevin Walker BAOC Yellow 55:07 30 Sam BAOC Yellow 59:14 31 T206--Emma, Dave, Joe, Erik BAOC Yellow 59:25 32 Rohlfes family BAOC Yellow 1:05:30 33 Robin Joy BAOC Yellow 1:06:44 34 Nathan & Tommy BAOC Yellow 1:13:20 35 Bugos BAOC Yellow 1:15:15 36 Anand Kulandaivelu BAOC Yellow 1:16:07 37 Alekseyeva BAOC Yellow 1:17:56 38 Spencer & Brady COOL ISIM 1:28:45 39 Ellen, Lance, & Nolan Sc... BAOC Yellow 1:34:43 BE Crew BAOC Yellow2 DNF Orange/Course 3 (4.7 km, 91 m climb, 18 controls) 1 Matthew Adams COOL ISJVM 38:06 2 William Morris COOL ISJVM 40:23 3 Frank Markowitz BAOC Orange 45:50 4 Ben Hallsted COOL ISJVM 47:38 5 Mette Storvestre BAOC Orange 47:40 6 Johanna Merriss BAOC Orange 53:23 7 stefan Stefanov BAOC Orange 56:54 8 Irena Stefanova BAOC Orange 1:04:07 9 Daniel Sebo COOL ISJVM2 1:10:17 10 CHarles Brenner BAOC Orange 1:11:56 11 Terra MacEwen, Heather Follo COOL ISJVF 1:12:54 12 Olga Kraght BAOC Orange 1:15:24 13 Lena Eydelberg BAOC Orange 1:16:33 14 John Marold BAOC Orange 1:21:05 15 Judy Opsahl BAOC Orange 1:53:20 16 Thanki BAOC Orange 1:53:34 17 Mai & Peter BAOC Orange 2:10:04 Conway BAOC Orange MSP Matthew Mattson BAOC Orange DNF Brent Adams BAOC Orange DNF Austin, Brad, & Jack BAOC Orange DNF Brown/Course 4 (4.9 km, 85 m climb, 16 controls) 1 Joe Knapp BAOC Brown 36:43 2 Svetlana Sokolova BAWS WSF 46:38 3 Gary Kraght BAOC Brown 47:04 4 Stephanie Maclean BAWS WSF 52:52 5 Bronwen Capllinger COOL ISVF 1:00:51 6 Marina Keating BAWS WSF 1:01:17 7 Jeff Lanam BAOC Brown 1:02:55 8 Jim Fish BAOC Brown 1:18:59 9 Tom & Judy Cronin BAOC Brown 1:28:47 10 Rosemary Johnson BAWS WSF 1:31:11 11 Subramanyan Siva BAOC Brown 1:38:03 12 Richard Opsahl BAOC Brown 1:54:59 13 Nancy Lindeman BAWS WSF 2:12:32 Course 5 (6.9 km, 256 m climb, 23 controls) 1 Mikkel Conradi BAWS WSM 40:30 2 Dennis Wilkinson BAWS WSM 42:28 3 Tapio Karras BAWS WSM 43:52 4 Steve Gregg BAWS WSM 44:14 5 Matthias Hohler BAWS WSM 47:17 6 Ants Turban BAWS WSM 50:01 7 Werner Haag BAWS WSM 51:32 8 Derek Maclean BAWS WSM 51:58 9 Julian Early COOL ISVM 53:03 10 Wayne Caplinger BAWS WSM 53:22 11 Manfred Kopisch BAWS WSM 54:18 12 George Minarik BAWS WSM 54:46 13 Deron & Alex van Hoff BAWS WSM 1:01:05 14 Mark Blair BAWS WSM 1:01:08 15 Shura Kretchetov BAWS WSM 1:01:10 16 Vicki Woolworth BAWS WSFG 1:03:11 17 Gavin Wyatt-Mair BAWS WSM 1:08:55 18 Phillip Hoare BAWS WSM 1:09:06 19 Fyodor Konkov BAWS WSM 1:16:13 20 David Hallsted BAWS WSM 1:32:52 21 Steve Beuerman BAWS WSM 1:48:58 _______________
ISIF = Interscholastic Intermediate Female
ISIF2 = Interscholastic Intermediate Female (2nd course)
ISIM = Interscholastic Intermediate Male
ISJVF = Interscholastic Junior Varsity Female
ISJVM = Interscholastic Junior Varsity Male
ISJVM2 = Interscholastic Junior Varsity Male (2nd course)
ISPF = Interscholastic Primary Female
ISPM = Interscholastic Primary Male
ISVF = Interscholastic Varsity Female
ISVM = Interscholastic Varsity Male
WSF = Winter Series Female
WSFG = Winter Series Female (Green)
WSM = Winter Series Male