Training Events for Juniors
2016 BAOC Training Events
Hi all Juniors and Parents,
I would like to pick up where we left off last year about having Junior gatherings at local meets. The basic format will be like last year.
- Arrive 10 AM and sign up for your course
- 10:15–10:45: Physical warm-up and skills practice for all levels
- 10:45: Run course
- 11:45 (or as Juniors finish): Course review
Looking at the current BAOC Schedule, mark down these dates:
- January 31, Presidio
- February 7, Sunol
- February 21, Lake Harmon
- February 27, Cal Berkeley
- March 12, Oyster Bay
- May 7, Indian Valley
If you are interested in participating in this program, please email .
At the Presidio meet, I would like to have a meeting with parents and Juniors to talk about sending a team to the Interscholastic Championships (http://www.attackpoint.org/eventdetail.jsp/event_27767).
More details to come soon. Looking forward to a fun year!
(Posted to the BAOC Training List (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BAOCT/) on January 6, 2016)
2015 BAOC Training Events
We plan to have Orienteering Skills Training for Juniors at the events listed below. On days when there is not a regular BAOC event, adults are welcome. Those events will cost $10 per adult and $5 per junior. (Training activities might occur at other events. Subscribe to the BayONet (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baoc/) and the BAOC_Juniors (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BAOC_Juniors/) mailing lists to get the latest information.)
- Jan 2-5: National Training Camp #1
- Jan 11: Tilden Park BAOC local event: Meet at 9:30 AM at Registration.
- Jan 25: Oyster Bay BAOC local event: Meet at 9:30 AM at Registration.
- Feb 8: Briones Regional Park: Meet at 10:00 AM in the parking lot at the Bear Creek Rd entrance. Training will end around 12:30 PM.
- Feb 22: Lake Herman Recreation Area BAOC local event: Meet at 9:30 AM at Registration.
- March and April: TBA
2015 OUSA Training Events
The current list of training camps for the Junior National Team (JNT) is below (most camps are open to other juniors as well). There are two kinds of camps: primary and secondary. The primary camps are the National Training Camps and supplementary Canadian camps on the list. All the other camps are secondary. The list of secondary camps may continue to grow.
Each JNT athlete is supposed to attend two camps. JNT members should attend two primary camps, or one primary and one secondary. If that's not possible, please let know as soon as possible.
- National Training Camp 1: Petaluma, CA; Jan 2–5 (Primary)
- Vancouver Sprint Camp (http://gvoc.whyjustrun.ca/events/view/1247): Vancouver, BC; Feb 13–15 (Primary)
- QOC Training Camp (http://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_1035030): Price Williams Forest, VA; February 14–15; email for more Information (Secondary)
- Blue Mountain Training Camp: Beacon, NY; dates TBA; contract for more info (Secondary)
- Ontario Training Camp: Hamilton, ON; April 9–12; for more information ask (Primary)
- National Training Camp 2 (http://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_1044972): Colorado Springs, CO; April 10–13 (Primary)
- Kootenay Training Camp: Kranbrook, BC; May 2–3; contact for more info (Primary)
- Golden Goat Camp: Atlanta, GA; Dates TBA; put on by GAOC (Secondary)
- TJOC training Camp: Texas; location and (June) dates TBA (Secondary)
- National Training Camp 3: Boston, MA; June 11–14; contact for information (Primary)
- Europe Training Camp: Sweden/Switzerland (location TBD); July 13–16; this will be in conjunction with a racing O-Ringen, July 17–22 (Primary)
- National Training Camp 4: Harriman State Park, NY; dates TBA (Primary)
For any questions please ask or . For the Canadian camps, email , and he will put you in touch with the organizers. Thanks—go USA!!
2012–2013 BAOC COOL Season Training Events
We plan to have Orienteering Skills Training for Juniors at all 2012–2013 COOL events. Topics will be announced on the event announcement pages, on the BAOC_Juniors (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baoc_juniors) mailing list (see information here), and on the BayONet (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baoc/) mailing list (see information here).
- Feb 24, 2013: Joaquin Miller Park, Oakland, CA
- Mar 3, 2013: U.C. Berkeley Sprint, Berkeley, CA
- Nov 11, 2012: Annadel State Park, Santa Rosa, CA
Clinic: "Techniques for approaching a control, punching quickly, and leaving quickly in the right direction"
- Nov 4, 2012: Golden Goat, Kid, and Junior Goat – Coyote Lake-Harvey Bear Ranch County Park, Gilroy, CA No clinic at this event
- Oct 28, 2012: Morgan Territory Regional Preserve, Livermore, CA (White/Yellow clinic: Navigation by vegetation; Orange clinic: Handrails and Attack Points)
- Oct 21, 2012: Golden Gate Park, San Francisco CA (All-level clinic on Map interpretation)
- Choosing when to contour
- Tips for long courses
- Tips for Score-O courses
- Tips for choosing the best route
- Understanding the control descriptions
- Techniques for approaching a control, punching quickly, and leaving quickly in the right direction
- Skills for starting to go off-trail
- What to do if you get lost or injured
- Finding the right speed to run
- Compass techniques
- Using catching features
September 27 – Junior Orienteering Day Camp 2009 – Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve, Palo Alto, CA
September 13 – Junior Orienteering Day Camp 2008 – Knowland Park, Oakland, CA
July 20-August 13 – TheWaterStop Summer Trip 2007 (http://thewaterstop.org/summertrip.html/) – Denver - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada - Yellowstone - Colorado
July 23-26 – COC 2007 (http://www.coc2007.ca/) – Sass Peepre Junior Training Camp, Saskatoon , Saskatchewan, Canada
July 27-29 – HVO Junior Training (http://hvo.us.orienteering.org/News/article/sid=108.html/) – Hudson Valley Orienteering, Harriman State Park, New York
September 30 – Education Through Adventure camp – Harriman State Park, NY