BAOC 2023 Annual General Meeting
Date: (Thu.) Apr. 20, 2023
Location: Video Conference
Event Directors: - 925.516.7622, - 650.906.9672
Type: Annual membership meeting and election of officers
Minutes of the BAOC Annual General Meeting held April 20, 2023
Present: Marie-Josée Parayre, Nick Corsano, Misha Kreslavsky, Jeff Lanam, Graham Brew, Esther Heller, Sarah Williams, Steve Haas, Chuck Spalding, Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Tapio Karras, Dan Greene, Gary Kraght, George Minarik, John Richardson, Emily Tucker, Jay Hann, Werner Haag.
The meeting was held via Zoom. It was called to order by the President at 8:05 PM.
Welcome and Appointments – Marie-Josée Parayre
The President welcomed the club members and visitors to the meeting. She appointed for this meeting Esther A Heller, PRP as parliamentarian, Graham Brew and Nick Corsano as Credentials Committee, and Sarah Williams and George Minarik as Minutes Approval Committee. The Credentials Committee reported that as of 8:06 there were 17 club members logged in. The President announced that a quorum was present.
Officer Elections – Steve Haas
The Nominating Committee, comprised of Steve Haas (Chair), Rex Winterbottom, and Jeff Lanam, recommended the following candidates for election as officers of the club:
- President: Marie-Josée Parayre
- Vice President: Stephanie Maclean
- Event Coordinator: Graham Brew
- Secretary: John Richardson
- Treasurer: Gary Kraght
As no additional nominations had been submitted to the Secretary nor made from the floor, the President declared the above candidates elected.
President’s Report – Marie-Josée Parayre
- The California Orienteering Festival steering committee has been meeting weekly since mid-2019. There are currently 697 people registered. The President called on all club members to help out in some way. Three event directors and some other key positions need to be filled. Gavin Wyatt-Mair added that 19 countries are represented, the World Rogaining Championship has over 300 participants, registration closes on June 15, and the club will hold a relay event in May to practice logistics.
- There are a number of vacant positions in the club. The President mentioned the Insurance Coordinator and Mapping Director positions.
Treasurer’s Report – Gary Kraght
The club has about $214K on hand. Projected expenses for Cal-O-Fest total about $160K. The Treasurer predicts a modest profit from Cal-O-Fest as a worst-case scenario, with significant revenue for the club as a best case. There was discussion of encouraging recreational orienteers to attend Cal-O-Fest. The issue there is manpower, but the plan is to allow day-of-event registration.
Membership Report – Werner Haag
As of January of this year, the club had 119 individual memberships and 91 family or group memberships.
Event Coordinator’s Report – Graham Brew
In 2022 the club held 15 days of orienteering, low by past standards. This year, there will be six spring events, six Summer Series events, and 6–8 fall events, for a total of about 18 days of orienteering, in addition to Cal-O-Fest. Next year should be a near-normal year of 20–25 days. The limiting factor is volunteers, especially event directors. The Event Coordinating Committee will get together in September or October to put together a tentative calendar for the following year.
Miscellaneous – Marie- Josée Parayre
The President began a discussion of the value of mentoring new club members so they feel comfortable taking on roles of event director or course setter.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:58 PM.
Nick Corsano, Secretary
Reviewed by George Minarik and Sarah Williams