BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Tue.) Sep. 20, 2022
Location: Video Conference
Event Directors: - 925.516.7622, - 650.906.9672
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors; 8:00 PM; all club members are welcome
Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held September 20, 2022
Present: Officers – Marie-Josée Parayre (President), Stephanie Maclean (Vice President), Graham Brew (Event Coordinator), Nick Corsano (Secretary), Gary Kraght (Treasurer); Board members – Dan Greene, Steve Haas, Daniel Ingram, Jeff Lanam, Dennis Wildfogel; Visitors – Sharon Evans, Scott Aster, Tapio Karras, Derek Maclean, Bob Bruns, John Richardson, Bob Cooley, James Roney, Vardaan Iyer.
The meeting was held via Zoom. It was called to order by the President at 8:03 PM.
President’s Report – Marie-Josée Parayre
- The President appointed, and the Board confirmed, Gary Kraght as Chair of the Finance Committee. The President appointed Sharon Evans, Stephanie Maclean, Steve Haas, and Sarah Williams to the Finance Committee.
- The President appointed Jeff Goodwin, Scott Aster, and Deron van Hoff to the Event Coordinating Committee. The committee is chaired by Event Coordinator Graham Brew.
- Updates on permanent courses: Girl Scouts Hannah and Sarah updated and repaired the permanent courses at Bedwell Bayfront Park. A Boy Scout is proposing to build a permanent course at Coyote Hills (more below).
- Local printing of maps is working successfully. Process needs to be formalized, and guidelines on costs established.
- There have been no leads on a new Equipment Director.
- Boy Scout Verdaan Iyer of Fremont came on the call and described his idea of building a permanent course at Coyote Hills for his Eagle project. The board supported the idea. There was discussion of the quality of the map, and club members who could serve as resources.
Secretary’s Report – Nick Corsano
- Minutes of the March 15 board meeting were approved as presented.
- There were two email votes taken since the previous board meeting: in June, the board authorized the purchase of additional insurance required by Mills College for our event there; in August, the board authorized the purchase of an additional subscription for OCAD and renewal of our club license for Condes.
- The Secretary has begun the process of compiling all club policies adopted by the board and posting them on our website. The conflict-of-interest policy requires that every board member sign a statement that they have received a copy of the policy and will comply with its requirements. The Secretary has been remiss in following up with new board members, but will be contacting them in the near future.
Membership Report – Werner Haag
- The club currently has about 400 members. Over half are on auto-renewal.
Event Coordinator’s Report – Graham Brew
- The Summer Series was successful. Five events are planned for the fall, including the Willow Glen social event. The tentative schedule for 2023 includes seven events in the spring, four in the summer before Cal-O-Fest, two summer events after COF, and six fall events.
- Daniel Ingram offered to have a two-day event on new maps in Carson, NV in the spring.
Treasurer’s Report – Gary Kraght and Sharon Evans
- The transition of Treasurer duties from Sharon to Gary is continuing. Cash on hand is $155K; potential liability from Cal-O-Fest is $112K, plus the $24K loan from Orienteering USA.
- The Orienteering USA Annual General Meeting will be held virtually on September 29. The agenda includes a proposal for a change in club charter fees.
- The next board meeting will take place in December, date TBA.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 PM.