BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Thu.) Sep. 9, 2021
Location: Video Conference
Event Directors: - 925.516.7622, - 650.906.9672
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors; 8:00–10:00 PM; all club members are welcome
Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held September 9, 2021
Present: Officers – Marie-Josée Parayre (President), Stephanie Maclean (Vice President), Jeff Goodwin (Event Coordinator), Nick Corsano (Secretary), Sharon Evans (Treasurer); Board members – Bob Cooley, Dan Greene, Steve Haas, Jitka Hiscox, Daniel Ingram, Jeff Lanam, Dennis Wildfogel; Visitors – Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Tapio Karras, Derek Maclean, John Richardson, Chuck Spalding, Vicki Woolworth, Bob Bruns, Sarah Williams.
The meeting was held via Zoom. It was called to order by the President at 8:03 PM.
President’s Report – Marie-Josée Parayre
- The President thanked the committee and volunteers responsible for putting on Tahoe 2021. She observed that the wildfire situation got worse after our events. This was a useful experience to prepare for CalOFest.
- There are several important positions to be filled:
- Insurance Coordinator
- Mapping Director: Bob Cooley has done this job for 37 years; he will continue to do our map printing for the rest of the year. The President would like to form a committee to look into how the club should handle the numerous mapping-related duties going forward.
- Equipment director: Jay Hann is stepping away for medical reasons.
- Treasurer: This will be Sharon Evans’ last year in the office.
Secretary’s Report – Nick Corsano
- Minutes of the June 23 board meeting were approved as presented.
- An email discussion resulted in consensus to allow NAV-X to use the Huddart map for a GPS event following our November 7 event.
Treasurer’s Report – Sharon Evans
- The club has about $102K in the bank, $43K in PayPal. An overview of the expenses for Tahoe 2021 was presented. The club owes Orienteering USA $8750 in sanctioning fees. Additional mapping expenses were incurred.
- The IRS notified BAOC that it would be fined $2400 for a late filing, but the Treasurer produced proof that the filing was on time, and the IRS has confirmed that the club is not liable.
- It was moved and seconded to amend the 2021 budget to account for the additional mapping expenses. The motion passed. The forecasted loss for the fiscal year is now about $17K.
- Regarding the Juniors budget, Daniel Ingram is considering taking Juniors to an east coast National Ranking Event in the fall.
Event Coordinator’s Report – Jeff Goodwin
- We are being more successful in obtaining permits. Tamarancho, St Mary’s, and Shell Ridge are on (the latter two were cancelled last year); Huddart and Bon Tempe are likely.
Tahoe 2021 – Gavin Wyatt-Mair
- The Middle and Long events drew the most participants; the Rogaine generated the most revenue. Not using buses saved a lot of money. Issues were:
- Permits: Most were received the day before the event. Every one required last-minute changes.
- Smoke and fire: We were fortunate to be able to hold all the events. The threat of wildfires impacts the dates for 2023.
- People who stayed away because of the smoke are not being reimbursed.
- A follow-up survey regarding COVID showed a very positive response to our procedures. Only one of the 198 respondents tested positive for the virus in the two weeks following the event. Over 96% of the respondents said they had been vaccinated.
Western Race Services Agreement – Marie-Josée Parayre
- Discussion deferred due to Jay Hann’s situation.
NAV-X Relationship – Marie-Josée Parayre
- The need for streamlined communication between the two entities was emphasized. Vicki Woolworth indicated that either she or Bill Cusworth should be the point of contact within NAV-X; for BAOC, it should be the Event Coordinating Committee.
- Jeff Lanam and Daniel Ingram are working on the 2022 NJROTC Championship event to be held at Joe Grant. Jeff will need a lot of help with E-punch.
- The next board meeting was set for Thursday, December 2, from 8–10 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 PM.