BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Wed.) Jun. 23, 2021
Location: Video Conference
Event Directors: - 925.516.7622, - 650.906.9672
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors; 8:00–10:00 PM; all club members are welcome
Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held June 23, 2021
Present: Officers Marie-Josée Parayre (President), Stephanie Maclean (Vice President), Jeff Goodwin (Event Coordinator), Nick Corsano (Secretary), Sharon Evans (Treasurer); Board members Bob Cooley, Dan Greene, Werner Haag, Steve Haas, Jay Hann, Daniel Ingram, Jeff Lanam, Dennis Wildfogel; Visitors Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Tapio Karras, Derek Maclean, Nancy Lindeman.
The meeting was held via Zoom. It was called to order by the President at 8:05 PM.
President’s Report – Marie-Josée Parayre
- The President appointed Graham Brew, Deron VanHoff, and Scott Aster to the Event Coordinating Committee. As Event Coordinator, Jeff Goodwin chairs the committee. They are seeking a replacement for George Minarik, who has stepped down.
- The President appointed Sharon Evans as Chair of the Finance Committee by unanimous consent. The President also appointed Stephanie Maclean, Bob Cooley, and Steve Haas to the committee.
- The club is seeking an insurance person to replace Marina Keating.
- Orienteering USA has adopted COVID-19 guidelines for National Events.
Secretary’s Report – Nick Corsano
- Minutes of the March 11 board meeting and the April 15 special board meeting were approved as presented.
- One formal email vote of the Board was held, to approve Daniel Ingram as Junior Director. Two other email discussions yielded consensus without a formal vote. One was to allow NAV-X use of our Presidio map, but not our Huddart map, for GPS events. The other was to support Western Race Services’ application to be approved as a supporting member of Orienteering USA.
Treasurer’s Report – Sharon Evans
- The club has about $150K in the bank. The club has received $32 through Amazon Smile, and $150 through a Wells Fargo Bank Blackbaud donation.
- When the Board adopted the 2021 budget, it included the proviso to revisit the budget once the decision about going forward with the California Orienteering Festival was made. Accordingly, the Treasurer prepared some revisions:
- Revenue and expenses related to Tahoe 2021, including estimated $11K in sanctioning fees. Revenue of $3700 paid forward from COF.
- After discussion, funding was added for junior training ($2000) and junior activities ($1750).
- Revisions produced a budgeted loss of $11.4K for the year. It was moved, seconded, and passed to approve the modifications to the budget.
Membership – Werner Haag
- The club currently has 177 memberships: 85 individual (including one Junior) and 82 family or group memberships. This is down from 191 at the beginning of the year. Our count by the OUSA algorithm is 272; using a historical average of 3.4 members per family would give us about 381 actual people as members.
Event Coordinator’s Report – Jeff Goodwin
- There is promising news from park authorities, with activity levels and staffing coming closer to pre-pandemic levels. Two events are tentatively scheduled for July—Presidio and UC Berkeley.
Tahoe 2021 – Gavin Wyatt-Mair
- Sanctioning has been received for the National Events and the North American Rogaining Championship. Permit received for Sierra College, in progress at Burton Creek, waiting on the National Forest Service. There are 145 entries to date; about $20K in new revenue. Zherdev is updating Sagehen for newly logged areas. Additional $6K needed for mapping.
- Dennis Wildfogel (National Events) – The club will sponsor the 2022 Navy JROTC Championships at Joe Grant on March 12–13. This will consist of two days of Yellow through Green courses. The club may combine this with a two-day NRE. Jeff Lanam volunteered to serve as Event Director.
- The next board meeting was set for Thursday, September 9, from 8–10 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:45 PM.