BAOC Annual General Meeting
Date: (Tue.) May. 25, 2021
Location: Video Conference
Event Directors: - 925.516.7622, - 650.906.9672
Type: Annual membership meeting and election of officers
Minutes of the BAOC Annual General Meeting held May 25, 2021
Present: Marie-Josée Parayre, Stephanie Maclean, Nick Corsano, Sharon Evans, Bob Bruns, Misha Kreslavsky, Rosemary Johnson, George Minarik, Jeff Lanam, Bob Cooley, Graham Brew, John Richardson, Jay Hann, Nicholas Maderas, Werner Haag, Theo Verhoeven, Esther Heller, Evan Custer, Scott Aster, Sarah Williams, Steve Haas, Chuck Spalding, Nancy Lindeman, Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Tapio Karras, Dan Greene, Dennis Wildfogel, Vicki Woolworth, Dan Ingram, Jeff Goodwin, François Léonard, Derek Maclean.
The meeting was held via Zoom. It was called to order by the President at 8:03 PM.
President’s Report – Marie-Josée Parayre
- The President observed that a quorum was present. She welcomed the club members to the meeting.
- The President introduced the club’s new Junior Director, Chief Daniel Ingram from the Carson (Nevada) High School Naval JROTC. Dan spoke of his background and extensive experience working with youth, and of his enthusiasm about orienteering as a team-building activity that also boosts kids’ self-confidence.
- The California Orienteering Festival (Cal-O-Fest), originally planned for 2020 and postponed until this year, has been further postponed to 2023, but BAOC is working on hosting Tahoe 2021, comprising the US Orienteering Championships (August 6–9) and the North American Rogaine Championship (August 14–15).
Cal-O-Fest Report – Gavin Wyatt-Mair
- Orienteers registered for Cal-O-Fest will be able to transfer their registration to 2023, apply it to Tahoe 2021, or request a refund.
- Orienteering Canada, Orienteering USA, and the International Rogaining Federation all are supportive of the postponement to 2023, in view of the travel restrictions still preventing people from many countries from traveling to the USA.
- There will be little overlap between Tahoe 2021 courses and the Cal-O-Fest courses (this summer’s Sprint will take place at Sierra College).
- Tahoe 2021 will include a fun relay event.
Treasurer’s Report – Sharon Evans
The club has about $154K in the bank, of which $135K comes from registrations for Cal-O-Fest. There have been some refund requests; the club has sufficient funds to cover refunds, even if everyone were to request one.
The club has a $24K loan from Orienteering USA for Cal-O-Fest, but we have been given leeway in repaying it.
Event Coordinator’s Report – Scott Aster
Only a few agencies are currently allowing applications for special event permits. Likely local events are UC Berkeley (July), Presidio (August), and Tamarancho (September). It is expected that more venues will become available after the lifting of the state’s pandemic restrictions on outdoor events on June 15.
Election of Officers – Steve Haas, Marie-Josée Parayre
Steve Haas, Chair of the Nominating Committee, presented the slate of candidates put forth by the committee (Steve, Dan Greene, Jitka Hiscox) and recommended by the Board of Directors:
- President: Marie-Josée Parayre
- Vice President: Stephanie Maclean
- Event Coordinator: Jeff Goodwin
- Secretary: Nick Corsano
- Treasurer: Sharon Evans
President Marie-Josée Parayre called for any nominations from the floor. There were none, so she declared the candidates elected.
Service Award – Marie-Josée Parayre
The President announced that the recipient of the 2020 BAOC Service Award is long-time club volunteer, Registration Director, and former President Steve Haas.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:54 PM.
(Reviewed by Dennis Wildfogel and George Minarik)