BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Tue.) Dec. 6, 2016
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 650.281.5280, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome
Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held December 6, 2016
Present: Steve Haas (President), Steve Harrison (Event Coordinator), Scott Aster, Dennis Wildfogel, Jeff Lanam, Bob Cooley, Jay Hann, Nick Corsano, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary), and Sharon Evans (Treasurer). Erin Schirm attended by phone. (Thanks to Jeff Lanam for setting up the Skype option.)
The meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM at the Foster City Recreation Center by President Steve Haas.
President's Report – Steve Haas
- Steve thanked George and Leslie Minarik for an excellent volunteer appreciation event at Bon Tempe this past weekend. Steve also relayed a message from Gary Kraght that the effort to bring WMOC 2022 to the U.S. is on hiatus right now due to a lack of enthusiasm on the part of the national and international organizations.
Online Votes/Approval of Minutes – Vicki Woolworth
- The minutes of the June and September meetings were approved as amended.
Event Coordinator Report – Steve Harrison
- Steve described the progress on the schedule for next year, with events scheduled for many of our popular venues, and others in the works.
Using Paid Staff For Events – Steve Harrison
- Steve opened a discussion on the budget proposal to have a paid position as venue coordinator. The person would be responsible for getting permits for events. This task often takes a significant amount of contact, and it is hoped that someone in this position would be able to establish a good relationship with land-use agencies (parks, etc), making it easier and faster to get permits, especially important when parks prohibit publicity until a permit is obtained.
- Jay commented that there are two West Coast clubs that are already outsourcing key event coordination functions. Further discussion covered the time commitment expected, line of command, taxes, insurance, etc.
- Steve will draft description, run it by the board, and work to identify a candidate.
National Event Report – Dennis Wildfogel
- Dennis described the current plan for A-meets: the upcoming Sprint SF, O in the Oaks (March 2017), Deer Creek Hills (with GCO, date TBD), Sprint SF (December 2017), and March Middle Madness (2018, Tri-Valley area). In March there will also be events in Southern California, making up the COW (California Orienteering Week), which will be described at baoc.org/COW and be further publicized as permits allow. Also discussed was the possibility of national-level rogaining events.
Treasurer's Report – Sharon Evans
- Sharon reported the current bank balance, and mentioned a deposit from Nav-X of $5000 per the 2016 agreement.
Mapping Report – Bob Cooley
- Zherdev is now drawing Big Basin, and may have enough for two days.
Vision/Strategy Session Planning – Steve Haas, Nick Corsano
- Steve and Nick presented a proposal to hold a discussion to define the vision of the club and develop a plan to reach it. Nick stressed the importance of having a big picture outlook so we are not making decisions in a vacuum. He described a four-step process including a SWOT analysis, mission statement, and setting goals and objectives, and suggested a trained facilitator.
- The board voted to approve the proposal to have a planning session with an external facilitator. Likely dates are either 2/18/17 or 2/25/17.
2017 Budget – Sharon Evans
- Sharon presented the 2017 budget as proposed by the budget committee, which has a projected loss of $20,000 to cover investments in equipment and additional grants for Juniors, as well as the strategy session. With the additional equipment, we will have two full sets to use for A-meets or back-to-back weekends. After discussion and some adjustments, the budget passed as amended.
- Jay Hann, as Equipment Director, brought up the possibility of taking responsibility for some of the E-punch equipment; will discuss with Rosemary.
Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 7th.
Meeting adjourned at 9:51 PM.