BAOC Board Meeting Minutes

Date: (Tue.) Jun. 9, 2015
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 408.313.3753, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome

Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held June 9, 2015

Present:  Nick Corsano, Steve Haas, Jeff Lanam (President), Sharon Evans (Treasurer), Nancy Lindeman, Bob Cooley, Scott Aster, Rosemary Johnson, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary), and Jay Hann.

The meeting was called to order at 7:03 PM at the Foster City Recreation Center by President Jeff Lanam.

President's Report – Jeff Lanam

Jeff congratulated the club on the successful A-meet at Joe Grant as well as recent well-attended local events. The summer and fall schedule is gradually filling in but more events would be desirable. The club is excited to have four Juniors named to the national team and two selected to compete in JWOC.

Online Votes/Approval of Minutes – Vicki Woolworth

The board voted on April 10 to accept the report of the Nominating Committee and offer the following slate of Nominees as Officers of the Club: Jeff Lanam, president; Rex Winterbottom, event coordinator; Sharon Evans, treasurer; Vicki Woolworth, secretary. The appointment of Erin Schirm to the post of Juniors Director was approved online on May 6.
The minutes of the March 2015 meeting were approved by a vote of the board.

Treasurer's Report – Sharon Evans

Sharon reviewed the current status of the budget. Event income is generally higher per person than last year, and while the A-meet attendance was lower than hoped, the Tahoe event should meet expectations as there will be fewer conflicts with East Coast events.
As we now can accept tax deductible donations, Sharon will prepare letters of acknowledgement. The taxes have been filed. Sharon has determined that club membership is also tax-deductible.

Mapping Report – Bob Cooley

Vladimir Zherdev has started work on the Joaquin Miller map, including a section mapped to Sprint standard, and will also work on Joe Grant. Bill Cusworth is working on the Northstar Sprint map for the Tahoe A-meet in September.

Event Coordinator Report – Rex Winterbottom, by email

A few more events have been added to the summer schedule. Rex would welcome more, especially in September and November. It is also not too early to start scheduling for 2016.
Jeff added that Visit Tri-Valley (a regional chamber of commerce) has offered sponsorship of a meet at Las Trampas next year.

A-meet Report – Gary Kraght, by email

Currently there are tentative plans for an A-meet at Morgan Territory in 2016. If there is interest in a second A-meet in 2016, please contact Gary.

Junior Grant Committee – Jay Hann

Jay presented a summary of Junior grant requests and expenses for 2015, including both domestic and international travel. A proposal was made, amended, and passed to increase the Junior Grant budget by $3000 for 2015.

Directors' Reports

Publicity – Nancy Lindeman
Nancy will put together flyers to promote the Tahoe event, ideally on postcards as these are easy to distribute.
Jeff mentioned that we can pay Facebook to boost the visibility of BAOC posts; others suggested increasing the frequency of posts and including pictures.
Registration – Steve Haas
The registration forms completed by participants can be used for accounting, publicity, membership, waiver signatures, and emergency contact info if participants don't check in, and currently the routing of these forms is not well defined. Several options were discussed, but for now registrars need to make sure the forms are available to the event directors at course closing, and make sure they are sent to the appropriate people.
Membership – Werner Haag
Werner was not present, but has set up a web document for checking membership status. Club members have found this useful, and it has prompted some renewals.
E-punch – Rosemary Johnson
Controls have been rented to City of Trees Orienteering Club for the upcoming Western States Champs.
Outreach – Scott Aster
Scott has scheduled a clinic for a group of Marin Boy Scouts, and hopes to encourage them to participate in the Scout-O.
Training – Lori Huebermann & Stephen Granger-Bevan
Lori is taking a break from the Berkeley trainings due to an injury, but should be restarting them soon. Rex is putting on some Punch and Run Klub events.

New Business – Jeff Lanam

Jeff mentioned the IOF is debating whether to have the World Cup events alternate between Sprint and regular orienteering.

Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 1st.

Meeting adjourned at 9:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Vicki Woolworth
BAOC Secretary