BAOC Board Meeting Minutes

Date: (Tue.) Mar. 4, 2014
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 408.313.3753, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome

Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held March 4, 2014

Present: Dennis Wildfogel, George Minarik, Nick Corsano Esther Heller, Steve Haas, Jeff Lanam (President), Kelly Wells, Bob Cooley, Scott Aster, Trinka Gillis, Rosemary Johnson, Stephen Granger-Bevan, Lori Hubermann, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary), and Dan Greene.

A-Meet Report – Dennis Wildfogel

Dennis has arranged to meet the requirement for an EMT at Boggs by hiring a trained professional. It will add $600 to the budget but this should not be a problem.

President’s report – Jeff Lanam

Congratulations to Rex Winterbottom for the 2013 Service Award, to Matej Šebo for making the U.S. Junior Standing Team, and to Steve Beuerman for making the U.S. Trail-O Team. Currently we have a somewhat light schedule, with the Ski-O being canceled due to lack of snow, and an abbreviated but successful Junior series, but the schedule is now picking up. OUSA has announced Olympic Day events in which clubs can arrange for an Olympian to attend their event, providing an additional draw.

Online Votes/Approval of Minutes – Vicki Woolworth

There were no email votes this quarter, and the minutes of the December 2013 meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report – Kelly Wells

Fiscal year 2013 is mostly closed; Kelly presented a newly organized spreadsheet that breaks out members and nonmembers to meet new OUSA requirements (insurance fee). Reviewing last year, one note is that perhaps having pre-registration or more publicity would help offset the costs of using Wilder Ranch, a desirable though expensive place to orienteer.

Mapping Report – Bob Cooley

Bob is adding rocks to the Shell Ridge and Diablo Foothills maps, and Zherdev has enlarged the Calero map for this fall’s event. No other new venues have been identified. Bob noted that the stables have been closed at Calero and at Joe Grant.

Event Coordinator’s report – Rex Winterbottom, by email

Rex provided some updates to the club schedule regarding the Joe Grant, Presidio, Harvey Bear Ranch, Tahoe, Del Valle, Pacheco, and Bon Tempe events that were posted to the BayONet.
Rex thanked everyone and asked for feedback to help improve things for our event planning.

Nominating Committee – Jeff Lanam

Trinka Gillis was appointed as nominating committee chair. Elections are scheduled for the UC Berkeley event on Sunday, April 13.

Registration – Steve Haas

Steve is working on a plan to include the new expanded waiver into the registration form. For members’ self registration the waiver language will probably not fit on the envelope, so an additional form may need to be enclosed or a separate form on a clipboard signed. The new policy requires that parents sign for children. Steve will compare our ideas with other suggestions on AttackPoint.

Incorporation and 501(c)3 Status – Jeff Lanam

Completed first step (incorporation in California) and have gotten check cashed for second step (510(c)3 registration); last step will be to apply for non-profit status in California.

Directors’ reports

Publicity – Nancy Lindeman – not present
Social – Vacant
Registration – Steve Haas – already covered
Membership – Werner Haag – not present
E-Punch – Rosemary Johnson
Sent out and received back 20 units for battery replacement; inventory good for units. Still need Mark to update Quickstick program; no recent progress (need to accept SI-10 and SI-11 sticks, and Condes 9 files). Discussed alternate systems as backup, soliciting suggestions. Still recruiting for E-Punch volunteers, will send out.
Outreach – Scott Aster
A scout group from the East Bay plans to attend Joe Grant; Scott offered them a personalized beginners' clinic. Jeff also received some leads including Girl Scouts in Monterey and a military group.
Equipment – Mark Blair
Mark was not present, but the current locations of most equipment was discussed, considering consolidating the storage lockers (Juniors and general).
Juniors – Still vacant
Event Quality – Dan Greene
Nothing to report, welcomes suggestions. Jeff raised the issue of the positioning of controls on Brown course, not in terms of difficulty of navigation, but of physical limitation (climbing steep slopes, rocky areas​—​not climbing on hands and knees). Dan will try to follow through with this with course setters when possible.
Training – Stephen Granger-Bevan
To date, 16 weekly trainings have been held continuously except for the BAOC Board meeting and Christmas, with an average of 4.3 people per event. Considering a training day, evening course setting workshop/sharing event, or conservation work with parks.
Insurance – Marina Keating – No problems, just a reminder for EDs to request insurance well in advance of the event.
Ski-O – Tony Pinkham – No snow!

New Business

Rosemary suggested a social, Score-O, and training event – like we had at Stanford. Some suggestions for locations (since we do not currently have a connection at Stanford) included Vasona, JMP.

Next meeting: June 10, 2014

Respectfully submitted
Vicki Woolworth
BAOC Secretary