BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Mon.) Dec. 8, 2014
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 408.313.3753, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors—7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30—All club members and other interested people are welcome
Minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held December 8, 2014
Present: Nick Corsano, Steve Haas, Jeff Lanam (President), Sharon Evans (Treasurer), Nancy Lindeman, Bob Cooley, Scott Aster, Rosemary Johnson, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary), and Dan Vannatter.
The meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM at the Foster City Recreation Center by President Jeff Lanam.
President's Report – Jeff Lanam
- Jeff congratulated the club on the successful A-meet at Calero and Scout-O at Briones, and reviewed the list of upcoming events. The club still has openings on the board for Juniors and Social Directors, as well as Equipment Director, as we have had to accept Mark Blair's resignation. On behalf of the club, Jeff thanked Mark for his many years of service.
Online Votes/Approval of Minutes – Vicki Woolworth
- There were no email votes this quarter, and the minutes of the September 2014 meeting were approved by a vote of the board
Treasurer's Report – Sharon Evans
- Sharon presented an overview of the 2014 budget. It was noted that there weren't many mapping expenses this year, but Bob Cooley assured the board that next year he plans more professional mapping. The mapping expenses for Boggs were also moved from event expense to mapping expense. A budget committee was named to work on the 2015 budget (Rosemary Johnson, Jeff Lanam, Sharon Evans, and Nick Corsano), and a motion was passed to authorize the treasurer to pay urgent expenditures for 2015 within the parameters of the 2014 budget until the 2015 budget is passed. The question of reimbursement for mileage expenses was raised; Sharon plans to look into the history.
Mapping Report – Bob Cooley
- Bob has repaired the Oyster Bay map so it can be used for the January event, and is considering redoing and possibly expanding Big Basin. Joaquin Miller Park also needs to be redone, as well as Joe Grant. Bob plans to bring in a professional mapper in 2015.
Event Coordinator Report – Rex Winterbottom, by email
- Rex emailed a soft 2015 schedule to the club membership, and asked for volunteers to fill in the gaps.
- Proposal 2 was passed:
- At the meet director's discretion, an A-meet may have two Brown courses. There should be two Brown courses whenever the winning time for M65+ is expected to be 50 minutes or more, or whenever the terrain is more than moderately physical. The second Brown course should be designed to avoid excessive physical challenges, both with control placement and legs between controls. A top M80+ participant should be expected to complete it in 45 minutes or less. (For reference, a top M80+ participant orienteers about 50 percent more minutes per kilometer than a top M65+ participant.)
- When there are two Brown courses, the competition categories will be allocated as follows:
- Brown A: M65, M70, M75, F55, F60, F65, F18
- Brown B: M80, M85, M90, F70, F75, F80, F85, F90, M-open, F-open
Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 10th
Meeting adjourned at 9:25 PM.