BAOC Board Meeting
Date: (Tue.) Jun. 5, 2012
Location: Foster City, CA
Event Directors: - 650.248.9595, - 510.407.1876
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors -- 7:00-10:00 PM; free pizza and salad will be available at 6:30 -- All club members are welcome
Approved minutes of the BAOC Board Meeting held June 5, 2012
Attendees: Mark Blair, Kelly Wells (Treasurer), Rex Winterbottom (Event Coordinator), Bob Cooley, Jeff Lanam, Nancy Lindeman, Scott Aster, Nick Corsano, Trinka Gillis (President), Steve Haas, Vicki Woolworth (Secretary).
The meeting was called to order at about 7 PM by president Trinka Gillis in Foster City
- Trinka welcomed Rex to his new board position, Event Coordinator. She commended Jay Hann for his work on the Girl Scouts 100th anniversary event, and thanked Steve Haas for organizing the volunteer event at Almaden Quicksilver. Trinka is continuing to send welcome emails to newcomers using the information on registration forms.
Eagle Scout Proposal
- Mark Sinks presented his Eagle Scout project proposal to set up a permanent orienteering course at Vasona Lake. He is requesting approval to use and update the Vasona Park map, and up to $300 in funding for materials. He has obtained permission from the park and a significant portion of the materials needed, and has volunteers lined up for the work. The board moved and approved his request and to provide a consultant for the mapping and course setting. Bob Cooley volunteered to help with this project.
- Rex has sent out an email to the BAOC list with a revised schedule for next year. There are still a few open spots in the fall, hoping to put on a Goat in October. The goal is to have next year’s schedule set by the end of this year. Progress is being made with the Stanford connection so that future events can be held there. The summer training series has been added to the regular schedule. A suggestion was made to encourage meet directors to designate a greeter for both before and after courses to help newcomers integrate into the club.
- The application is ready to submit, inquiries will be made to see if there are any club members with legal expertise to review it before sending it in.
- Kelly noted that the income and expenditures were higher than budgeted for the Ski-O A-meet, for a net gain plus a donation to the U.S. Ski-O team. Otherwise things are going as budgeted.
- Rock detail to be added to the Shell Ridge map this summer. Matej Sebo is working on a Canada College map, which should be suitable for sprint events. Bob is looking for new terrain, Scott Aster offered to scout out the North Bay.
- Trinka appointed George Minarik to chair the nominating committee to select candidates for the Silva and Golden Troll awards.
- There is currently no Training or Juniors director; discussed making the currently vacant positions positions board-optional.
- Ben Legg redesigned the flyer. Road Runner’s Thursday events have attracted a good crowd, and Nancy is also working with Ben and Rex to promote the upcoming schedule as it is finalized.
- Jeff is looking for a good online/email newsletter template and is considering a twitter account, San Diego has tried this.
- Ben published a refreshment guide, which is on the website under Guidelines for Volunteers.
- Steve has received a new supply of whistles, which are a good publicity item as well as a safety item.
- Scott is contacting REI to get on the schedule for fall, would like a South Bay volunteer.
- New controls coming with club logo to add 350 more to inventory.
Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 11.
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 PM