Minutes: 2010 BAOC Annual General Meeting
Sunday, April 25, 2010
Sunol Regional Wilderness, Sunol, California
The meeting was called to order at 1:35 PM by President Nick Corsano.
Present were Steve Beuerman, Barbara Straka, Bill Straka, Mark Blair, Alan Glendinning, Matthias Kohler, Max Wiegant, Jonathan Owens, Scott Novotny, George Minarik, Esther Heller, Marsha Jacobs, Gary Kraght, Judy Koehler, Jeff Lanam, Steve Gregg, Cameron Ferguson, Alex Finch, Steve Haas, Rex Winterbottom, Gavin Wyatt-Mair, Mark Petersen, Peter Graube, Meg Gerstner, Nick Corsano, Trinka Gillis.
1. President's Report – Nick Corsano
The club had a good year. We had a great A-meet at Pacheco thanks to Jeff Lanam, and a healthy schedule all through the year. Participation was down a little from the year before.
Jay Hann received the 2009 Club Service Award.
The BAOC board approved the bid for the 2013 JWOC, but USOF turned it down.
We conducted a club survey.
2. Treasurer’s Report – Steve Beuerman
The club took in $64,653 last year, and spent $61,592. At the end of December 2009, we had $46,329 in the bank.
3. Approval of the 2010 AGM Minutes – Nick Corsano
Nick Corsano delegated review of the 2010 AGM minutes to Steve Haas and Vicki Woolworth.
4. Election of Officers – Nick Corsano
The nominating committee chaired by Scott Aster has recommended the following candidates for the club officer positions, and the Board approved them at the March meeting:
- Trinka Gillis – President
- Alex Finch – Event Director (incumbent)
- Kelly Wells – Treasurer
- Vicki Woolworth – Secretary
No nominations were proposed from the floor.
The club membership approved the proposed slate of candidates by acclamation.
5. Club Survey – Trinka Gillis
Trinka identified three areas which the club survey indicated needed work: communications, volunteers, and training, and asked attendees to split into small groups to brainstorm ways that BAOC could improve in each of the areas.
- Establish a club policy to encourage volunteers
- First-time volunteers could be assistants to learn the ropes
- Incentive to encourage EDs
- We need to greet new people at meets. With the self-start and self-finish, no one talks to them anymore.
- Need to add new people to email list
- Customize GeBe printout with BAOC webpage and/or BayONet email subscription info
- Put something in the map case about upcoming events, joining email list, etc.
- Food gets people to stick around, especially if their cars are parked far away
- WYO course reviews
- Develop a "new member" kit
- Hold intermediate and advanced training clinics, both classroom and field work
- Hold Course Setter training twice a year
- Wilderness First Aid training for club members
- Search and Rescue Training
- USOF Level-1 Coaching Certification
- Training day — training/lunch/sprint
6. Closing Remarks – Nick Corsano
Nick thanked the club members for their participation and ideas. Thanks to the Board — a dedicated, responsible, hardworking group, and especially the officers — Alex Finch, Steve Beuerman, and Trinka Gillis. And thanks, too, to Esther Heller, for her behind-the-scenes support.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:14 PM.
Minutes: Trinka Gillis, BAOC Secretary
Approved by Vicki Woolworth and Steve Haas
[These minutes are also available in this PDF file (56KB).]