BAOC Board Meeting Minutes
Date: (Tue.) Sep. 11, 2007
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Event Directors: - 650.906.9672, - 650.248.9595
Type: Quarterly meeting of the Board of Directors -- 7:00-10:00 PM; pizza will be available at 6:30 -- All club members are welcome
Approved minutes of the September 11, 2007 board meeting – TrinkaGillis
The meeting was called to order by President, Nick Corsano at 7:00 PM.
Present were: Steve Beuerman, Everett Beuerman, Jean Beuerman, Brad Wetmore, Nick Corsano, Mark Blair, Scott Aster, Jeff Lanam, George Minarik, Jan Hann, Nancy Lindeman, Kelly Wells, Jim Fish, Toby Ferguson, Manfred Kopish, Daniel Kopish, Phillipp Kopish, Esther Heller, Tony Pinkham, Dan Greene, Rex Winterbottom, Ben Legg
1. Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes – Nick Corsano
- The minutes of the last meeting were approved with one sentence eliminated.
2. Report of Email Votes – Trinka Gillis
- There were no email votes.
3. President's Report
- Nick reported that he gave the BAOC Lifetime Achievement Award to Bruce Wolfe at the Joaquin Miller event.
- Some of our club members won awards at the Colorado 5-Day event.
- Clare Durand from LAOC is the new USOF President.
- No USOF clubs folded this year.
4. Event Coordinator's Report
- Brad reported that he's looking into other insurance options, since we aren't insured for shuttles with the USOF carrier. Transit companies or limo services have their own insurance.
- He's working on scheduling Rex's Trick-Or Treat O on Oct. 31 and the Stanford event on Dec. 15.
5.Treasurer's Report – Steve Beuerman
- Steve informed us the park use fees are going up. The board members should let him know if their budget needs to change.
6. 2008 Budget Committee – Steve Beuerman
- He asked if anyone wanted to be on the committee.
7. Principal Address of Club – Nick Corsano
- A motion was passed that the principal address of the club should be the club treasurer’s address.
8. Report of A-Meet Committee – George Minarik
- George told us of the plans for Boggs Mt, and the Tahoe 3-Day event.
- The Fall 2008 event is not canceled; it was just pulled off the USOF calendar since nothing is firmed up. The plan is for 3 days at Joe Grant.
- May 1-3, 2009 will be the US Team Trials with a sprint, Friday, at Spring Lake and then the weekend at Boggs Mountain.
- In the Fall of 2009 we are planning an event at Pacheco State Park.
- We discussed whether a Ski-O Day could be an A-Meet Day. Tony could talk to Randy Hall to find out.
9. Conflict of Interest Policy – Nick Corsano
- The board will look at the policy by e-mail and vote before the end of the year, with a week to discuss and a week to vote on the policy.
10. Grant Award Policy – Nick Corsano
- Dan will rewrite it and we'll have an e-mail vote.
11. Interscholastic League Proposal – Jay Hann
- Jay is going to start a youth orienteering league this fall and is modeling it after Seattle's successful Interscholastic league. There was much discussion on should the meets be only on Saturday and should the meets be separated and not the same day as our BAOC events.
- Some people were concerned that we might not have enough volunteers for this program. Jay said that he could set courses, do E-punch, and set up an unmanned start and finish, so we might not need too many volunteers.
- George suggested that we use our BAOC events and just have two or so separate events.
- Jay wants to use E-punch for all of the events. He is applying to USOF for a grant to cover some initial costs. The Board has committed an additional $1000 if the USOF grant is approved.
12. Junior Training Camp Proposal – Jay Hann
- Jay told us about his plans for a 4-1/2 day Junior training camp in the Tahoe area before the Tahoe 3-Day event next summer.
13. EPunch Staffing – Nick Corsano
- We are running out of volunteers and we might not have staffing for all B meets. Maybe the new printer will help. Expect not to have Epunch at C meets.
14. Purchase of SI Printer – Mark Blair
- The Board approved the purchase of a GeBE printer from SPORTident. This device will read an e-stick, print the splits, and store the data for later upload to a computer with the Epunch software. Joe and James used one for the Joaquin Miller sprints.
15. Bylaws Review Committee – Nick Corsano
- The Board authorized creation of a Bylaws Review Committee, to be chaired by Kelly Wells. This committee will make recommendations to the Board in March for amendments to the club bylaws. Any changes need to be approved first by the Board, and then by the membership at the Annual Meeting next spring.
16. 2007 Western States Championships Update – Scott Aster
- Scott still needs volunteers for starts, finishes and control pickup. He will finalize the Saturday night dinner plans by this weekend.
17. 2008 Sierra Avalanche Ski-O Report – Tony Pinkham
- Tony announced the plans for this event and also told about the BAOC Club Ski-O Champs at Bear Valley on March 2.
- The board voted an additional $500 in the publicity budget to be used for the Ski-O publicity.
18. Discussion of New Club Uniforms – Ben Legg
- Ben suggested that it might be a good time for the club to look into new uniforms, and he volunteered to take the lead in this effort. The Board authorized Ben to investigate options for styles, designs, suppliers, cost, etc.
19. Directors' Reports
- The meeting was adjourned at 10:05. We had such a long agenda that we didn't have a chance to hear the directors' reports.
20. New Business
- The next meeting will be on Tuesday, December 4, 2007 in Menlo Park.
Nancy Lindeman (on behalf of Trinka Gillis)