Point Pinole, Pinole
Wednesday, July 8, 1998, 6PM
Orienteers on all levels are invited to attend our practice session on Wed. July 8th at Pt. Pinole. You can arrive anytime between 5:45 and 6:30 and still get in some time at the park. Nothing will be timed. No results will be published. Just serious practice. You can participate in one or more of the following activities.
1. A Line O. This is an exercise in following a line on the map and spotting streamered control points along the line.
2. A Shadowing Exercise. We will team up people of similar physical abilities to alternately lead and follow their partners to control points. The followers will be verbally critiquing the leaders during the course.
3. Some easy compass and pace work.
4. A freewheeling question and answer session on such topics as tactics, training, equipment and anything else connected with the sport.
5. Socialize at the local pizza place afterwards starting about 7:30.
Bring an old Pt. Pinole map or buy a used one from us for $2. Long pants and gaitors should be worn as the vegetation has grown pretty thick. The wild wheat is particularly bothersome and is clinging to the socks and shoes more than normal. The good news is that there is very little poison oak and the park is still free of Star Thistles. I saw only one small patch of PO after spending two hours in the park last evening.
To get to Pt. Pinole take the Richmond Parkway exit off Interstate 80 in Richmond. Go west about 1.5 miles and turn right onto Atlas Rd. Continue on Atlas for 1.4 miles past the railroad tracks and detention center-the park entrance will be on your right. Pay the fee, park and walk the final 500 meters to the picnic area.. E-mail me with any questions.